Need Foster Parent in NC - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in Need Post any animals in need of rescue here. Note: This section is only for animals that are up for adoption, not for sale.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Need Foster Parent in NC

I foster guinea pigs, from the local shelter, I am not an offical foster parent, but I go there and adopt the guinea pigs, when I have the room. Well currently I have 3 more guinea pigs then I can handle right now, I usually only keep 4 guineas at a time.

So I am looking for someone in NC, to foster two piggies and find them a good home!! I have a c&c cage that can go with them, its built for 4 piggies, but it can go with the two girls if you can foster them!

Let me know if you can help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

update: I found two of my fosters a forever how with two middle school girls, there parents did approve, and have had guinea pigs before, so I am confident they got a great home!! Thanks for any consideration!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Rodentologist

You may be better off joining one of the THREE operating exotics rescue in this area, to be honest. If you're "adopting" pigs from the shelter and rehoming them, you're breaking their contract to do so. I know that the Wake Co. and Orange Co. shelters prohibit this specifically, and to my knowledge so does the Durham APS (though I haven't worked with them specifically). The Wake Co. shelter actually has a specific "New Hope Program" for rescues to join to be able to pull animals because of the extensive problems they've had with private rehomings.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Last edited by Jennicat; 07-18-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I am well aware of that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Rodentologist

You're aware of their policies and breaking them deliberately?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 02:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am not really familiar with the policies there,but I know with shelters/rescues here...if you adopt,you can't rehome.You have to return the animal to the rescue if you can no longer provide a home for it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Rodentologist

Yes, they have similar policies here. If you want to pull animals to adopt them out, you have to register with the shelter first as a rescue. They started that because people would keep pulling animals and adopting them out with not a whole lot of screening, sometimes into places where they were getting pregnant and then showing back up at the shelter, or without proper care guidelines. Requiring guidelines for rescues helped solve this problem, because reputable rescues always take back their animals and provide support.

What's more baffling is that there are 3 exotics rescues operating in this area, and all of them have notices up asking for foster homes, so it's not like the resources aren't available to join a rescue and be able to pull these animals with the backing and support of a legitimate organization without violating a legal contract.

Last edited by Jennicat; 07-18-2008 at 02:58 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

I didnt know about the foster programs in NC, So I am going to contact them and offer to foster. Thanks for the information!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

I really only got one pig from the WCAS, the other shelter I got them from didn't require a contract, as they were small animals. And I didn't deliberately go and adopt a pig and decide hey lets re home it and break the rules! I don't even remember signing a contract at WCAS either.