Not Sure where this belongs (Possible "Abuse" Case) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in Need Post any animals in need of rescue here. Note: This section is only for animals that are up for adoption, not for sale.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Angry Not Sure where this belongs (Possible "Abuse" Case)

I've been turning this over in my head and I figured I'd turn to you guys for advice!!
There's a VERY old man in my town who owns a Pit Bull (possibly a Box mix but anyway). I personally think he got the wrong breed on accident, because he had a smaller dog before but it got taken from him because he was hospitalized (for back surgery amoungst other health problems I think ). Anyway this Pit is completely untrained and doesn't even know it's own name. That's not the problem though. This dog is a complete sweety, and it breaks my heart but the old man can't walk the dog himself, and sometimes the "kids" in town will ask to walk the dog for him and he usually says, "No, I'll get around to it myself." Now I understand him wanting to do it . . . but even if he was able I don't think he'd remember! The dog isn't skinny but the old guy says all he feeds it is Chinese Food . . . with a diet like that how long can a dog last. The big problem I have is with the old man leaving the dog in his van. He use to leave him in the van until he destoryed the entire interior. . . now he kennels the poor dog in the van . . . but he'll leave the dog out there for half the day and not even think twice about him. I walked up to peek in the window and the poor guy started to tinkle and then couldn't help it and started peeing . . . as if he hadn't been allowed to use the bathroom all day . . . then he had no where to go but to lie in it. What happens when he leaves the poor dog in the van in the summer and the temp goes up?? The poor guy will fry!! Is this an abuse case??? Should I call the SPCA??
I don't want the old guy to be hurt but I don't want the dog to get hurt!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would say the first parts you mentioned are just bad judgement and an irresponsible owner, but the SPCA won't see it as abuse. However, leaving the dog in the van for hours at a time I think DOES qualify. Hard as it may be, I'd call.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Yes if I were you I would call too, especially if he leaves the dog in the van during high temperatures or low temperatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'd call too....they will probably go easy on the old guy cause he is old but they should still take the dog off him for the van incidents.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah, I agree .. the other stuff is bad ... but probably not enough to qualify as abuse. The van part IS. I even saw an episode of animal cops where they got a guy for keeping his dogs in a van.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah like I said that was the part that bothered me the most!! He never lets the poor thing out either . . is there a law against animals being caged with their own crap??

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm sure it is considered "animal cruelty." Poor doggie.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I think a couple people went to talk to him about it! I'll see how it works out (maybe they'll be able to get through to him) and if he continues doing as he is right now I'll call the ASPCA if I see his van sitting with the dog in it . . . and let them know of the situation! I just needed someone backing in that the dog shouldn't be left in the van like that especially not with summer coming!!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Geez .. yeah, definitely. Do you know how hot it can get in a car in the summer? Whew ...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Adolescent Pup

I agree with everyone that this sounds like a reason to call. Maybe they could talk some sense into the fellow. You could always tell them that if the old man would let you, that you would be more than happy to help him care for his dog. If her really loves his dog and wants to keep him, than perhaps he will be more open to the offers of help.

Marianne

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I haven't seen him around in a couple of days . . . I've been keeping my eye open!! I just hate the thought of the poor dog suffering!! Thanks for the advice guys! I'll keep you posted

I thought about telling him I'd take care of it for him . . but the dogs a pretty big boy and I'm almost 6 months pregnant . . . I don't think I should be running around getting pulled by a 60 pound pup! LOL . . . I was thinking about telling him my husband and I could come over in the evenings and walk the pooch and such . . . hmmmm . . .

Tags
animal cruelty, pit bull