Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

PLease help baby bluejay fast!!!

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mygala 
#1 ·
Hey,
Well I have taken care of many birds in the past but I'm best with sparrows of really any kind. But I just found a blue jay.....

I'm also stuck because its pretty old for when i usually get a baby..

I'm not exactly sure how old but it has fuz on head, top of wings, and most of the back.

It does have some adult wings on the tail, and ends of wings but only about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long maybe a little shorter...

It can fly about [from what i could see] 1 to 2 feet high...

Now my problems are should i feed it dry kitten food soaked in warm water [ like i do with the sparrows for the first 2 to 3 weeks ] or worms? or should i open and ground seeds? Another is should i just leave it outside?

I have him in a cage right now because we have many wild cats and i think somthing else.. I'm not sure what else but something cought a baby rabbit and killed it in my yard a couple nights ago.. ( =[ ) It may have been the cats but to be sure I but the baby in a cage.

The cage is what I used for adult sparrows so it should be good. The parents havent left the abby so I felt kind of bad taking him.

Also im in the areas of the US that are geting some thunder storms tonight so i covered the cage and put a towel a little on the sides. I wasnt sure if the rain would kill it because of the cold. Its got a lot of baby fuz and i dont think it will repel much water..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!
THANKYOU SO MUCH!

should I just let her back out...?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not really a bird expert, but I can try to help... Are the parents still around? If they are you can try to put it in a small shoe box or something like that and put it some where up high so cats cant get it. Maybe the parents wil take care of him? If it rains, bring him in because he could catch a cold. I hope he does OK!:thumbsup:
Oh, and I think he eats bugs but catfood might work too.

#3 ·
Leaving it outside is the first and best choice. The parents are usually very good about finding the chick once it starts to vocalize. Try to leave it as close to where you found it, or someplace out in the open.

If it's been too long, and the parents have given up, the kitten food is your food of choice if that's all you have. I'd find a rehabber that can take him and raise him with other birds. Jays can get too tame too easily, and it will usually cost them their lives as they get older. It's practically impossible for someone to raise just one bird and not have it get habituated to people.

If it's just been overnight, then the parents should be looking for the chick at first light. Good luck.

bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.