Wolf and hybrid - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in Need Post any animals in need of rescue here. Note: This section is only for animals that are up for adoption, not for sale.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:14 PM

ummmm...."Hybrid".......No Longer used..........

Human what planet are you living on--- Have you ever walked in to a vets office or rescue, or even a Veterinary schol and heard the term "wolf dog" NOOOOOOO!!!!

We use Wolf dog as a term for Wolf Hounds.

We use Hybrid as a Term for any breed of Domesticated Dog that is crossed with one of the following: Wolf, Coyote, Dingo.

For example.

I own both a Wolf Dog (My Irish Wolf Hound), and I also Own a Hybrid. (Shaddow my German Shepherd Coyote mix).

So there you go. If you still dont believe me i can give you the numbers to UC DAVIS, KENTUCKY STATE, OAKLAHOMA STATE, or Even all the Vets Offices in my area.

Also for another Personal Note.

Depending on what the Hybrid is mixed with they can be dangerous- ITS NOT HOW THEYRE RAISED- THEY ARE NOT REGULAR DOGS!!!

Just To Clarify a few errors!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVM12

Also for another Personal Note.

Depending on what the Hybrid is mixed with they can be dangerous- ITS NOT HOW THEYRE RAISED- THEY ARE NOT REGULAR DOGS!!!

Just To Clarify a few errors!
if you are insinuating that a dog mixed with a wolf is a dangerous dog cuz it is part wolf no matter how it is raised, I have to say I disagree.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:29 PM

No Im Not. I am stating what every other Wolf Rescue & Vets office will say- Do you know this last year how many Hybrids Wolves and Coyotes we have had to euthanise due to the fact that people dont have a clue what they are doing - they think its like anyother Dog. We have euthanised hybrids who bit small children in the face- Dont get me wrong. I Own a Hybrid I Love her shes the best But I also know how to handle her, and other Hybrids. I am stating that because SOOO many people think its cool to get a hybrid, and they do, but they DO NO REASERCH on them, and end up with a dog that no one wants that ends up in a sancturary like Candy Kitchen Ranch - A Wolf, and Hybrid Rescue. Or Euthanised.

I am stating that because people think they can just get a hybrid or a Pure and its the same.

ITS NOT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:33 PM

Actually a hybrid, and even a full blood wolf, is just like a regular dog. They behave, train, play, fetch (well, my Makenzie doesn't fetch) and do all the other dog stuff just like any other.

Breed and blood line is 100% moot when dealing with the outcome of a dog. Training, dedication, owner and animal mentallity make the dog and nothing else is a factor. A hybrid that has a tendency to attack his owner, fellow or stranger lacked the propper training and care...just like any other dog.

I've owned and delt with hybrids of ALL precentages and breeds, and many full bloods. I've owned a half husky/timber, half heeler/timber and currently have a 90% gret/husky and I've spent the last 10 years of my life with them as my "pet of favour".

Wolf hybrids are just as dangerous as black people.

Last edited by Zero; 03-02-2006 at 07:37 PM.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:35 PM

wow I'm glad to hear that Candy Kitchen is still in operation!
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko
if you are insinuating that a dog mixed with a wolf is a dangerous dog cuz it is part wolf no matter how it is raised, I have to say I disagree.
I'll go beyond insinuating that. They ARE dangerous, no matter how they are raised. Any responsible wolf hybrid owner will tell you that. They are not an animal that just anyone should have, nor can you keep them as you would a "regular" dog. They are a whole different animal and need to be treated as such.

They are no longer the domestic dog we are familiar with. The hybridization process undos thousands of years of domestication, in which we have bred out some of the most dangerous tendencies of the canid in question. Many people assume they are still the lovable hunk of doggy lovin' we have all grown up with. Hybrids have some of the attibutes of dogs, and some of the instincts of wolves.

That's not to say that they can't be wonderful pets under the proper circumstances, but that is only when owned and trained by someone who understands what kind of animal they are dealing with. For someone who just wants a "cool" wolflike animal, who has very little understanding of the true nature of wolves and other wild carnivores, they are more dangerous than a hand grenade in a playground, ...odds are they'll go off if handled incorrectly and someone will be injured or killed....probably a child.

(and you do realize, that this thread died out over a year ago...)
bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
They ARE dangerous, no matter how they are raised. Any responsible wolf hybrid owner will tell you that.
I just told you different.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:54 PM

as far as the same as a dog. I am not trying to start a flamer here.

That is the dumbest thing i have heard. The last time I heard that was when a man brought in his Wolf to be euthanised.It was about 18months old, was neutered but hit sexual maturity. Every one loved him, he was great, but he snapped!!!

Thats my experiece- and I own a Hybrid.

Shes wonderfull and great with kids etc, but still has her quirks, and shes the only Coyote hybrid i have owned, all the other hybrids were Timber Wolves or Gray Wolves.

I love them. I just dont think in experienced people who dont do reaserch should own them - and

The candy Kitchen is still in opperation. I started working with them a few years back when we had a breeder shut down with Hybrids in our area and I needed assistance.

But again. Hybrids are NOT THE SAME AS DOMESTIC DOGS-

If you think that i would love to see you down the road when you piss one off and they treat you as the would a part of their pack.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:55 PM

Hmmm.

I agree with Mygala.
Essentially

Your being an Idiot- If you were a responsible owner you would not be saying what you just said, or sticking with it!!!!
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
If you think that i would love to see you down the road when you piss one off and they treat you as the would a part of their pack.
Dogs in general should never have pack-behavior imprinted upon them. If you've allowed this to happen you've already screwed up. Same with any breed.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM

WOMAN ITS FREAKING INSTINCT!!!!!!

have you not read a single word i have posted the are HYBRIDS-- they are wild. Its instinct.

Thats why they are called Hybrids - Wild dogs mixed with DOMESTICATED DOGS!!!!

HELLLOOOOO!!?!?!?! Earth To ZERO!!!!
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Your being an Idiot-
Down to name calling, huh?

Quote:
If you were a responsible owner you would not be saying what you just said, or sticking with it!!!!
So I should sit by while you people spread misinformation about them? You guys are straight up wrong...I can't think of a polite way to explain it further than I already have.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:06 PM

Look if you arent listening to anything im saying i wish you best luck and hope you never get hurt, but you are in for a rude awakening!!! One day your going to look up and realize they are wild, not domesticated- domestic is considered after hundreds of years of taking 1 wild and 1wild that were both taken in and breeding them and raising the puppies to be Domestic dogs. HUNDREDS OF YEARS gets rid of the pack instinct and natural behaviors.

This is comming from

1) veterinary Technician
2) Vet Med Student
3) Rescue Director
4) Hybrid Owner
5) Dog Trainer
6) Canine Behavioralist
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:06 PM

ok your nuts and im done posting with you!
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
WOMAN ITS FREAKING INSTINCT!!!!!!

have you not read a single word i have posted the are HYBRIDS-- they are wild. Its instinct.

Thats why they are called Hybrids - Wild dogs mixed with DOMESTICATED DOGS!!!!

HELLLOOOOO!!?!?!?! Earth To ZERO!!!!
Man.

First, quit with the crazy colors before you give someone an anuerism.

It's not instinct. Instinct is knowing that eating hickory will help them with digestive troubles, not viciously attacking a toddler. Aggressive behavior is a product of the owner.

Also, hybrids aren't just wilds mixed with domestics. Hybris is a cross of any species...yeah we're talking about wolf mixes, but that last tangible statement is misleading.

~~by the way, I've read each of your posts concerning this word for word, numerous times and I disagreed with you're view of their mentallity and disposition every time.
Closed Thread

Tags
adoption application, adoption fee, breed dogs, dog food, dog owners, german shepherd, males together, vet care, wonderful pets