Wolf and hybrid - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in Need Post any animals in need of rescue here. Note: This section is only for animals that are up for adoption, not for sale.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Wolf and hybrid

An elderly couple im my Tiospaye are now raising 3 of their grandchildren and need to place 2 of their boys, red timber wolves. If anyone can help, please let me know. It has gotten to be a desperate situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:10 PM

Gypsy please be aware not only are wolfdogs ( hybrid is no longer used) especially diffucult to care for, they are also illegle some places and require permits in most places. Please be especially carefull placing these dogs. I would suggest an adoption application, interviews, home visits ect. Also are these dogs altered? If not I highly reccomend having them spayed/nuetered prior to adopton. I know someone who owns wolfdogs as well as runs a wolf rehabilitation center. I am going to contact him and see if he can help.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

We are in Arkansas and in a remote county area. They are unregulated here if there are less than 4 animals. Even then the requirements are minimal and primarily concern breeders and exhibitors of which the elders are not. Nor am I . I do however, operate a rescue. I do not have the facilites for wolves or hybrids, which they do still refer to them as in Arkansas. These are Red Timber wolves. One is full blood and the other is half w/ a cross of shephard and something that escapes me at the moment. They are both males and unaltered, apr. 2 yrs. of age. I spoke with the elders earlier this evening and they agreed to go ahead and adopt out their only other male wolf who is also a full blood , Artic I believe. As I understand it, they rescued these animals themselves and now that they are raising they're grandchildren are too strapped financially to continue with their care. They have always given their own shots except for rabies, which they are now due. I have only seen the animals once myself. They were well behaved and docile though their living quarters, were not what I would consider adequate for these animals. The elders are asking a bag of dog food as an adoption fee and I am facilitating for them as they would have given them to almost anybody. I will require any potential adopter to "jump through my hoops". You may review those at-

http://www.msnusers.com/Critters

This is my rescue site. Look under documents and then adoption for more information. I require a personal and vet. reference as well as a home visit. I personally generally require a spay/neuter contract as well- but these are not my animals and not in my possession. I am only trying to facilitate and keep my elders from just giving them away in the most respectful way that I can manage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

I think I have also talked my elders into allowing me to take the children for a while. Though I don't have adequate facilities for the wolves, kids I can do! This will free up some of their money for the boys care, at least that was the hope and plan.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:46 PM

Well that is goods news, would you consider placing them with a wolf rescue and rehabilitation center? I am waiting for the owner of the rescue to email me back, but I think he will be able to take them. I am sure he would hae no problem jumping through hoops fpr you! LOL Also At the risk of sounding ignorant, I am curious what a Tiospaye is, are you NAtive American? Hope I don't sound stupid!!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

No question is stupid! Yes , I am Native American. Tiospaye is a Lakota word that refers to a family group. We are part of the Turtle Island Tiospaye of Arkansas. I have no problem with them going into a rescue- I thought that we had one for them here in Arkansas, but the people backed out because of the dog food. The person was offended that a surrenderer would ask a rescuer to donate a bag of dog food to people who could not afford their animals. I thought the whole thing was rather petty. I feel things work out for the best anyway and that everything happens for a reason so obviously that was NOT the way to go. At any rate, I was already having some icky feelings about the whole thing. I will help in what ever way I can including vet care to get the boys UTD and transport. Thank you for your help.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:15 AM

I will let you know as soon as I hear back from the guy from the rescue. Obviously people who are offended by donating a bag of dog food to someone in need was NOT the right home!! People can be stupid!! I will als okeep on the look out for anyone who might be able to help! I think it's wonderful that you are trying to help, good luck!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks... I e-mailed the fellow you spoke of. We shall keep are fingers and paws, claws and other various appendages all crossed!!!!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:13 PM

i hope everything goes well, i might be owning wolf hybrids soon but you need a licence were i live so its a bit annoying and i'm still waiting to see if we can get one.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:55 PM

Good Luck Gypsy, please let me know how it works out!
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sugar! Gerbil let me know if you get liscensed, I know many people who run rescues- unfortuanetly for me they are all full.Something about Natives and Wolf dogs. A black wolf is my spirt totem, as far as that goes. I don't own one though. I haven't heard from the fellow yet ,but hopefully will soon.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 05:11 PM

I think the whole Native American connection is because they are such a powerfull animal spiritually. Als owolf is usually not on till very late at night so you might not hear from him till tomorrow
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 12:11 AM

There's no such thing as a Red Timber wolf. Sorry

~Seij
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

I am only relating what I was told- the animals are not in my possession. I am only trying to facilitate their placement. They are supposedly Timber wolves and their coloring is red. The Grandfather is in his eighties and I respectfully decline to correct him on many points. I appreciate you educating me however as I was not aware that there were not variations of the species. Thank You for your information.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarLovesRats
Gypsy please be aware not only are wolfdogs ( hybrid is no longer used) especially diffucult to care for...
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Closed Thread

Tags
adoption application, adoption fee, breed dogs, dog food, dog owners, german shepherd, males together, vet care, wonderful pets