Looking for a large puppy who will grow to be no smaller than 65 lbs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Safe Havens Do you run a rescue/rehab? Are you looking to adopt? Post here if you are willing to help with rescues.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Looking for a large puppy who will grow to be no smaller than 65 lbs

Hello,

I'm looking for a large puppy to train as a service dog for my aunt and was wondering if anyone around here might have what i'm looking for. the dog has to be big and strong because of my aunts condition she is in a wheel chair and my 75 year old grandmother needs help pulling my aunt's chair around. we are located in CT. if you think you have the perfect dog for us please respond here or email me at [email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Lilly Bud
Pet's name:
Baby
Pet's name: Pinkie
Pet's name: Lilly Pad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If i were you i would look for a great dane or great dane lab cross. They have short hair, are big, and mellow. They don't need much grooming.

The only issue with a great dane is they have very short life spans. about 7 years

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Or a Newfoundland, they are also huge.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yea, but they have a lot more grooming involved. and i think are much more active needing more exercise

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Giant Maso Mastiffs are a good breed and they are usually very loveable and gentle for their size. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images19...MollyPuppy.jpg

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ya we are looking at all of the above except a great Dane unless its a mix. the problem is allot of the rescues around here all have their dogs fostered out south and we really want to see the puppy before we get it to make sure that it will be a good fit.

Pet's name:
Baby

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if they are being fostered they bring them to the shelter or you can go to the foster home to meet them.

If possible though i would look for one that is already trained to be a service dog, it is so hard to train them while needing them.

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

most of the pups we're seeing are all done thru fostering there is no physical shelter and i can't take a plain out to like kansas to visit a dog i may not purchase

we want a puppy so we don't have to untrain problems someone else caused.

Pet's name:
Baby

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Newborn Pup

If the main thing you need is help pulling the wheel chair you don't need to have a gigantic dog to do it. Look into a Shepherd/Husky type or a Bernese Mountain Dog which were bred to pull milk carts. Bouviers (sp?) are smart dogs and pull just fine I have also heard great things about Pitties although most people do not trust the breed :\ If you dont want something that needs hours of grooming look into breeds like Labs, which are fairly common.
The larger the dog the greater chance you will have joint problems later on, especially if it is having to pull a wheel chair for long periods or too often. A smaller dogs is easier to care for, cheaper to feed, and usually live longer.

I wish you luck! Hope this helped

Kye And Carbon
~Partners In Crime~

Please check out my dog forum The Urban Wolf
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

we got a dog thanks

Pet's name:
Baby

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

What kind?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

He's a mut. they said he was a doby mix but he looks more like a swissy mixed with some form of bull dog. i'll get pics up asap

Pet's name:
Baby

Tags
dog, large, puppy