Wildlife - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Safe Havens Do you run a rescue/rehab? Are you looking to adopt? Post here if you are willing to help with rescues.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Talking Wildlife

Wildlife rehabilitator in Minnesota, will take any injured or orphaned wildlife for rehabilitation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wildlife needs our respect and protection.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Just for clarification, are you federally licensed?

Stephanie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Curmudgeon

Jade.

As far as I know most mammalian rehabbers are licensed by state rather than federal authorities, unless they deal with animals protected under federal law. Because all native birds are covered under the Migratory Bird Act, the feds have an interest in our avian friends. Raptors have a whole 'nother set of laws too.

Where I live, for my raptor permit, I have to have a state and a federal permit for some species. In addition, I had to have my facilities inspected (again, by state and feds). Supply a resume of my experience and a even a list of my equipment and library!

State laws vary depending with what kind of animal you choose to rehab. Mammal facilities do not seem to be as closely regulated. It also depends on the inspector you get. I had to explain to my inspector the reasons behind some of the requirements to show that I exceeded them.

Your mileage (and state statutes and inspector) may vary....

Cheers,

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks for the info. I asked because she doesn't mention excluding birds, so I wanted anyone contacting her to know one way or another.

Stephanie

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I am in the end stages of getting my state license (inspection on friday). I as an individual only rehabilitate squirrels and bunnies, but i will be using the 48 hour variance for emergency care of any wild animal. I am connected to a HUGE network of rehabilitators, including the raptor center in St. Paul, so i can place any animal that comes to me. So that's why I said i can take any animal, because if someone gets it to me, then i can get it where it needs to go.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Curmudgeon

Minnesota Raptor Center=Mecca of Raptor Medicine!

Drs. Pat Redig and Gary Duke = Minor Dieties in the field of raptor medicine.

I wish I was closer, I've been to a few seminars hosted by them and am in awe of them. Dr Duke especially is a sweetheart of a guy, and has gone out of his way to help me on numerous occasions! They really are the best in the world of raptor medicine.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

They are very good at what they do, the raptor center conducts rescues of raptors, and the doctors were really nice when i visited (private tour through a volunteer). They also have published documents that have helped me in personal research, and they do really cool things for the public. They frequently host seminars for quail hunters, and they fly haws and quail so that the hunters do not accidently shoot at raptors. I love the raptor center...my organization is WRR, wildlife rehabilitation and release. We also have connections with WRC wildlife rehabilitation center.

Tags
wild animal