3-year-old child spends hour in cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

3-year-old child spends hour in cage

This is a bit old, but still amazing!

3-year-old child spends hour in cage with 30 poisonous snake

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia After almost an hour locked in a cage with 30 poisonous snakes, 3-year-old Siti Amirah had just one thing on her mind: her milk bottle.

Siti, whose father is a snake handler in northeastern Kelantan state, chatted calmly with the deadly cobras and other snakes Thursday as they curled around her neck and hands, The Star newspaper reported.

"You OK?" she was quoted as playfully asking one of the serpents.

Siti's father, Sayuti Harun, said his daughter was first exposed to snakes when she was a year old. She showed no fear and was comfortable around his 112 pet snakes, among them pythons, cobras and rattlesnakes.

Sayuti, 61, said he planned to pass on to Siti the snake-handling skills that he learned from his father 35 years ago.

After spending nearly an hour in the cage, Siti ambled out and, unfazed by cheers and applause from a watching crowd in Kuala Terengganu town, reached for her milk bottle.

Staff at the resort hotel where the show was held were not able to provide a contact for Sayuti and declined to comment on what safety precautions were taken.

The hotel's public relations department, which organized the event, was closed on Friday for a public holiday.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/...e_Princess.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Part of the Pack

The only word I can come up with now is WOW! And also the famous noise of *THUD!*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 11:58 AM
RAT ADDICT

Thats pretty cool...but honestly not suprising to me.If a young child grows up with any animal,then seriously it doesn't suprise me that she was calm throughout that.What I think is wrong,is the father put his kid on show with the snakes.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

i agree, its amazing that shes ok, but i think its horrible that a 3 year old was anywhere near those snakes

My Furry Family
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:25 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
i agree, its amazing that shes ok, but i think its horrible that a 3 year old was anywhere near those snakes
Agrees...I think he probably did it to get attention or money.

I mean,I would never do that to my daughter.I am raising her up to respect all animals and she loves rats and everything,but I would never put her in a pit with dangerous animals.These snakes afterall were venomous.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I have no problem with teaching kids about snakes and commending any respect shown but I do not wish to be a judge here BUT has this guy lost his marbles??

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 01:48 AM

I think that is just disgusting, that a parent would put his/her child in that kind of danger. Whether or not the child was comfortable with it, harmed or not.

Just irresponsible.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hi, Know that I have your attention.

There was an artcile in the Argus (Newspaper) some time ago about a kid who grew up with a big python. Did some research on the internet and found some info on the story. What do you think?. An acident waiting to happen ??

"Six-year-old Cambodian boy Oeun Sambat hugs his best friend, 5-metre-long and six-year-old female python named Chamreun or "Lucky" in the village of Sit Tbow in Kandal province, some 50km (31 miles) east of Phnom Penh June 3, 2006. Superstitious villagers in the impoverished southeast Asian nation are flocking to see the boy, who they believe has supernatural powers and was proudly the son of a dragon in a former life. The female python came to live with Sambat in year 2000.

http://en.ce.cn/Life/news/photo%20ne..._7210419.shtml

Very nice looking Python....

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

that python is beautiful, as for the boy's saftey, i dunno, pythons arent as dangerous as venomous snakes... and the boy looks really happy... would i let my kid lay there with that huge snake that could crush him like a bug if it got scared. not likely.

My Furry Family
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
pythons arent as dangerous as venomous snakes....
And that is where people make the mistake and underestimate these animals.
These creatures work on instinct only and are just as deadly as any venomous snake. If there is the slightest inclination of food or a threat that animal will reacts without conscience or remorse. I can assure you that no one will be able to save that kid and that includes Chuck Norris.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 01:21 AM

That's a BIG python! But I wouldn't be too overly concerned...I mean, constrictors tame with lots of handling and learn that humans aren't food. They don't constrict for fun or out of fear, they only do it to eat. If they don't see you as food, they have no reason to hurt you. I'm sure that boy is pretty safe and I'm sure he's not just left unattended with the snake.

As for the original post...I think that father should be committed! There is just no way in you know where I'd let a child, or anyone else for that matter sit in a cage full of venomous snakes for 1 minute, let alone a whole hour!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

One thing a snake doesn’t do is become tamed. The animal becomes domesticated and does not show an aggressive defensive response that readily but tame no.
The problem is that as the animal is an instinctive creature it will respond very quickly to something we humans would not even consider being a problem till all booboo breaks loose.

Imagine this. The kid is lying there with the snake all is cool. The snake smells something on the clothing or in the hair that triggers a food response. Maybe something that the kid picked up prier to chilling with the snake or something the kid ate.
The animal is instinctive so the trigger is activated and there is no turning back as everything will change from one second to another.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 01:29 AM

wowzaa that i would never stay in a cage with snakes, even if they were babies with no venoum (SP) and no teeth.. i dont really like snakes