Any regrets? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Any regrets?

I have wanted a Boa or a Python since I was about 3 years old, and every time I ask my parents if I can get one they say no. But they are finally going to get me one if I get on the honor roll for my entire junior year in high school. I was wondering, is it worth all that studying to get one (are they good pets)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 01:54 PM

Im not a huge Snake fan. but, if you think its worth it, then you should do it.. You should even get honor Roll even if you werent getting a snake..lol
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

it depends really.. for some people there great pets, for others not so much.
whats the worse that could happen? you get on honer roll all year, then decide you dont want a snake at this point in your life, but you have great grades, and can prolly ask your parents for something else instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Curmudgeon

Get something realistic.

Unless you have an extraordinary lifestyle, as a 13 year old,you probably won't be able to cope with the needs of something 10 feet long or longer. Don't get something like a Burmese or one of the longer snakes. Unless you have lots of experience, I wouldn't recommend one of the species that can be aggressive. That would rule out most off the big pythons, like Retics or Rocks, and things like Anaconda's.

If you absolutely have to have a boid, I'd suggest you start with one that doesn't get that large, aggressive and one that isn't that expensive to purchase or house. Try a Ball Python. The don't get that big, aren't aggressive, are relatively inexpensive, and pretty easy keepers.

Remember, in a few years you may be going off to school and it's doubtful that most dorms or apartments will let you have a large snake. Are you going to dump it on your parents or a friend? If that's the case, do you really want one? Now is the time to think about what you are going to do with it....

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Last edited by Mygala; 08-01-2006 at 05:11 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 05:10 PM

i also recomend ball pythons
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, I'm glad that Ball Pythons are a good choice, because that is what I was planning on getting. Thanks for the advice.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:48 AM

Ball pythons are great BUT get it from a GOOD BREEDER and make sure its eating frozen thawed....Or just EATING. Ball pythons can be VERY picky eaters. My first ball python didnt eat for 4 months before i got her to eat.

My first love are cornsnakes. They come in every color imagineable and are very sweet snakes. both ball pythons and corns will hang out with you and much fun . Just make sure you dont get one just to dump it off after. I hate people like that since ive had many snakes like that
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

So I should get a python from a breeder, not a pet store?

"I Knew It Wasn't Berkowitz!!!!"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 10:33 PM

i have never gotten one from a breeder, but yes it is ideal.
i know how it is to not have breeders anywhere near. if you look and cant find a breeder, get from a petstore. but dont be too upset when it dies because of the neglect of the petstore.

some will have mites, some will be dehydrated, and some will be sick and not eat. after you get them... they sometimes die.

for example, petco here has there leopard geckos housed at 110 degrees. and thats crazy crazy too hot. and they also have them dehydrated to the point they look dead.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 02:31 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I was going to say a corn snake since they don't get that big. I was thinking about one of those myself. How are they as being pets?

*Missy*
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 08:07 AM

For the ball python: Alot of breeders will ship and even with Shipping it comes to less than you pay at a pet store and your animal is healthy and guarenteed to be a good feeder

for the cornsnake: Cornsnakes get to around 3 to 4 feet in general. I do have a male who is 4 feet and growing but hes a monster lol.
And cornsnakes are in my opinion the BEST pet snake of all , they usually redilly accept food,their usually very friendly, come in all colors of the rainbow, dont get too big and are just great. i said usually because there are,like in humans, individuals. But i have 9 corns right now and all of em are great. my two babys are really flighty but they calm down with handling

Tags
ball python, corn snake, leopard gecko, pet store