Baby ball python (named Chester) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Baby ball python (named Chester)

SO. Today, when i got back from school. i went to my room and saw that the lamp for Chester (baby ball python) wasnt on. so without looking i turned it on real quick and surprising. I thought Chester was inside his hiding spot but he was fully exposed and it scared him. I said sorry to him and when i left to open my window i looked at the tank and saw him staring at me all weird, i got closer and he attacked the glass tank. i got scared and very hurt (feeling wise) and i stood still... i decided to see if he was mad at me and put my finger by the glass and he attacked....... i left him alone the whole day, also turned off the light. i just came home. i want to know if this is just cause he got scared and him attacking will stop.... he was never like this, and when i used to put my finger by the glass he never attacked..... im really sad about this... its my fault i just wana know if itll pass......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

Aww...here's what REALLY happened.

Chester, being a ball python, has TERRIBLE eyesight. He really can't see a foot in front of his face. He's like the T-Rex from Jurassic Park "Her vision is based on movement!" He sees a big blurry thing that moves, when you move outside of his cage. He also sees heat. He has a great sense of smell, but he can't smell through glass.

So, when the light startled him, look at it from his perspective. He's small, and very vulnerable.

Suddenly, there's light! Perhaps some evil, predatory animal was standing there, and it just moved out of the way...I must have been in its shadow! Where did it go?

There! Movement! Something big and warm! AGGH It's coming for me!!!
I'm cold and I can't run away fast...get away or I'll bite, I'm warning you! AGGH!!

So, just give poor Chester a break. He probably doesn't know you very well yet (that can take months), but even so, he didn't even realize it was YOU he was attacking. Take care that he doesn't hurt his face on the glass that way, either.

Baby ball pythons are very high strung. They know how vulnerable they are to predators, and so they can be very snappy and defensive, sometimes. Be sure that Chester has two small, tight hides in his cage, one on the warm, and one on the cool side. Be sure his temperatures and humidity are right--it's very important. (A heat pad controlled by a thermostat is really the safest way to provide heat, and it will keep working after a power outage).

If you go to pick him up, and he seems uncertain or defensive, use a 'tap stick'--a small stick or mini snake hook, or even something like a ruler, to just gently nudge him and stroke him, until he puts his head down and relaxes a little bit, or hides his head. Then, you can reach in and pick him up without getting snapped at. This can also be used if he takes on an attitude that suggests he is looking for food (you are warm, so mistakes can be made--remember the bad eyesight!)

Baby ball pythons will usually outgrow their jumpiness by the time they're 6 months to a year old, but always be careful not to startle your animal, and if you do, approach cautiously--their instincts are there to keep them save from predators, and while they are usually very docile animals, they're not extremely intelligent, and they can make mistakes.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

haha that makes a lot of sense now. awe poor thing. well ive been kinda scared to hold him and take him out for a slither on the floor... but ill try today.... i miss him haha.... i figured i scared him to where he thought he was threatened... he has no eye lids so i was very worried i hurt him too... and yeah i thought he hurt his jaw when he attacked the glass... but i checked the next day and he looked fine.... But thank you very MUCH! i appreciate your reply *HUGS!* ))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

Also, some people get bad advice on this, so I want to make sure--Chester should ALWAYS have a heat source available, day and night. He should have a 90F basking spot, and 80F air temperatures, at all times. Ball pythons are sensitive to low temperatures, and can regurgitate food and develop respiratory infections at room temperature.

Tags
attack, baby, ball, python