Ball Python Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ball Python Question

Hi All,
I am having a problem getting my 1 yr. old ball to eat. She was eating frozen then she went to live, she has been eating live for awhile now. But she hasn't been interested in any live or frozen in about 1 month. She was eating medium sizes once a week. My other ball is doing fine she is older but still eating great. Does anybody have any suggestion on what I should do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 03:12 PM

Hope you are still around. I had to check with some other Ball owners because balls are not my strong suit.

I learned that Ball Pythons regularly go on fasts and that this is a common time for fasts. Fasts can last from 2-12 weeks. So continue to offer food every 3-4 weeks and then start a regualr feeding schedule again. Suggested every 7-10 days.

Something else to consider is that your python might be stressed. If you are housing your pythons together, the one not eating might be stressed by the other snake. It would be better if they were housed in separate cages if this is the case. If that is not an option, make sure you have several SMALL and TIGHT fitting hide areas.

You also should check the cages temperatures. You want temps to range from 78 deg F on the cool side to the mid 80's on the warm side and a localized basking area that reaches 90-92 deg F.....these are the ambient temps, that is, the temps that occur not only on the floor of the cage but the "air" temp of the cage).

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for the info..Lizgirl.

Priscilla is the name of my ball, she is a tank by her self, she isn't stress, so I guess she is taking a break for a few weeks. She hasn't lost much weight at all, so I am going to offer her food as needed and hope she eats soon.

My other ball, Shebia, was in a home with no heat and a rat ate her back to the bone. So by the time I rescued her she was near death. I never thought she would make it. But she did and she is a fat snake now. She didn't eat for 4 months and I was very worried. But Prissy isn't hurt and she is in a nice size tank a with heat lamp and night lamp. So I am thinking she is fasting. I never thought about that before, but some snakes do that.

Thanks again.

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:54 AM

Great names. Sounds like you are doing a good job. Way to go with your rescue. Isaac is my rescue pet. They can be so rewarding. Keep me posted on Priscilla's eating. Glad I was able to help.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 01:35 AM
Herp Nerd

I've had ball pythons fast up to a year... as long as they don't noticably lose weight they are usually just fine. I would add that you should probably keep her water as fresh as possible - she will most likely still drink and without food, dehydration can be a serious issue.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.

Tags
ball python, doing fine, separate cages