caring for a red tail boa - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

caring for a red tail boa

my brother-in-law has a 8 foot red tail boa. it stays at his dads house. he refuses to get ride of it although he is never around it. his parents are old and they dont care for it either. after 5 years of watching that snake in a too small tank with stagnet water and poop everywhere i decided to take it home with me.

it is not my snake... i dont even like the thing much, but i feel like i need to care for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

youll need to make a custom made enclosure or spend like 500-600 on a cage online(or it could cost more than that even) a 6ft long by 3ft in depth by 2-3ft in heighth would be good some people have really tall cages but still make them somewhat long and a good few feet in depth so they can stretch...2 hides would be good one on the warm one on the cool...a digital thermometer in-out plus humidity is $12 at walmart you should get and maybe a temperature gun too.also the cool temps should be like 82-84 and hot spot(half to 1/3 of the tank)should be 92-94 with a heatpad or a lamp(like a red light but make sure the snake cant touch it if you use a lamp or like a blue day light or heat emitter) connected to a good thermostat to control temps also. substrate at the bottom of the cage can be aspen,cypress mulch,newspaper,or craftpaper....they need a couple hides to fit snugly in one on the cool side one on the warm...like a cut pot(plant pot)or some sort of box or a hide from a petstore.maybe a sturdy branch or two to climb on and plastic plants..handling a snake over 6ft plus should be done with another person or 2 just to be safe...humidity in the cage should be like 50-60 percent more during shed if he seems to have trouble shedding or soaking in warm water for like 20minutes to help the shed...also since hes been in poor housing conditions a trip to the vet and a fecal is a must...also make sure the cage has locks on the doors so he cant get out...feeding a snake since hes an adult you can feed him jumbo rats prekilled of course o and a rabbit can be used if hes really skinny to fatten him up....um i dont have a rtb but ive researched on them alot um heres a site i reccomend repticzone.com(go to red tailed boas) redtailedboas.net and .com(i think theres a .net and .com for rtbs)reptilerooms.com also....hope i helped a bit im thinking about getting a baby red tail myself soon.

i have lots of babies.....so i just wont list them at the moment but ill eventually put pics here...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stop rattlesnake roundups!! join neopets.com!!!
STOP impaction and bacterial infections in leopard geckos and bearded dragons!! it can be prevented! use solid substrates like tile,newspaper,slate,shelfliner,newspaper,or reptile carpet...save a reptiles life! there may only be a 10-50 percent chance of them getting inpacted but why take that chance??????
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

a smaller cage like a 5ft times 24inches times 24inches would work fine for the rest of his life too....it turns out i might be getting a red tail boa also......... yay

i have lots of babies.....so i just wont list them at the moment but ill eventually put pics here...
STOP impaction and bacterial infections in leopard geckos and bearded dragons!! it can be prevented! use solid substrates like tile,newspaper,slate,shelfliner,newspaper,or reptile carpet...save a reptiles life! there may only be a 10-50 percent chance of them getting inpacted but why take that chance??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

oh thanks for the update.
he is in a big tank i had. its not big enough but its going to have to do for now. always better than his situation before i came along!

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Adolescent Pup

but start looking for a cage or start building one as soon as you can.....hed probably be able to take rabbits but rats are good for his whole life f/t is best.........

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

i will never ever ever feed live.
i have had many snakes and monitor lizards before and only had to feed live to one. it wouldnt eat f/t

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Adolescent Pup

im just making sure lol......sorry

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Adolescent Pup

Just a comment. I absolutely despise repticzone. This isnt to start any fight but ive read MANY of their sheets that has very serious bad info on them. For some reptile forums id reccomend saltwaterreptiles.com and reptilescanada.com . We have 2 boas and their great . Also if you dont really want to keep it(like you commented), Im sure you can find a very good home for him on one of the reptile forums. But im pretty sure he'll grow on ya. Their great if not big snakes. They love to hang out with you all the time. Suggestion though. try to handle him the most you can. Theres nothing worse than a huge snake that hasnt been handled. big nono

Last edited by ArcadiaReptiles; 08-28-2006 at 10:28 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

She still has not grown on me at all. I take care of her, but she is wild, and strikes at you. and shes nearly 8 foot long. so i dont think it can have another home. honestly, i will be moving soon and CANNOT bring her with me.
so i still have this huge snake here, that i cannot handle, and its sooo hard to clean her cage because you have to fight with her to get her out. i dont wont this snake at all, but it was living in a very bad situation, and now i feel stuck with the poor thing.
theres no way i can take it with me when i move, its dangerous to re home it...
you think i will have to get it PTS? poor snakey

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

Your in the states right?
I know someone who might be willing to take it. and she can handle these kinda of animals. Ill ask her if your willing? Youd have to ship the snake but We can guide you through how to do that.

the cockatiel
2 cats(
and
)

the ghost cornsnake

the Blizzard cornsnake

the amel motley cornsnake
Also handfeeding three baby cockatiels and Fiance has his own plethora of animals

Click on names to see photos
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Yes I live in kentucky. I am not moving until december at the earliest, so I still have some time. Thanks for your help. Please ask her for me. Its basically spent his whole life in a laundry room in a small cage with poop and mold everwhere. no one even went in there to do laundry because they dont have a washer and dryer. anyway, its spent its life like that without human contact. she has never been heated before, and only gets fed a couple medium rats a month.
since i have had her she is eating every two weeks, and is heated. she has a big tank too, but honestly its still not nearly big enough.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

She should be eating every week. a proper sized prey the size of the largest part of her or 1 1/2 the size of the largest part of her. And she might not be agressive. she might just be hungry or scared. We rescued a burmese python that was supposedly so agressive hed bite your arm off. Hes never bitten us. The reason? Because we were able to read the signs. Ill ask her. She has retics, a burm and some boas as well as like 30 or 40 ratsnakes. Shes into reptiles even more than i am and shes great. If anyone can help that boa rehabilitate its her . Ill wait for her to log on to msn tonight and ask her.

the cockatiel
2 cats(
and
)

the ghost cornsnake

the Blizzard cornsnake

Also handfeeding three baby cockatiels and Fiance has his own plethora of animals

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

Amanda says she really cant at this time. BUT she says dont put it to sleep! She doesent deserve that.Conact your loca and ask them if anyone could take it. Im sure there would be alot of qualified people there that could handle her.

http://www.kyherpsoc.org/

That should be where you can get in contact wiht them :

the cockatiel
2 cats(
and
)

the ghost cornsnake

the Blizzard cornsnake

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

thank you! I will start feeding her weekly. I was going to put her to sleep as a last resort. thanks to you telling me, maybe i can re home her

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

You can deffinetly rehome her. These people should know alot of people and maybe even rescues that have experience with dealing with her. Tell us how it goes! If you were closer to the border i know many people in canada. But you have a good bet with these guys

the cockatiel
2 cats(
and
)

the ghost cornsnake

the Blizzard cornsnake

Tags
red tail boa