Feeding Alternatives.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I may be getting a Kenyan Sand Boa from a friend at work, but I really despise the thought of feeding it pinkies....I know there is suppose to be a new alternative to feeding snakes live foods, but it hasn't hit the market here yet...Does anyone here know something else I can feed him, so I can avoid the mice, please????

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You can feed frozen mice.

I wouldn't recommend trying to feed substitutes. So far I haven't seen any on the market that look like a good staple.

If you don't want to feed animals to the snake then I'd rehome it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i second that. snakes eat what they eat, so learn to tolerate it or don't get one. it's not fair to the animal (the priority here)....er....not tryign to sound mean, i'm blunt...sorry! i totally don't think badly of you, but the animal comes first

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 09:33 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hey Ronda! Nice to see you here! I didn't know you joined yet!!

The only alternative I know of is "snake sausages".I don't know much about them tho and don't know how good they really are for snakes.

I would feed him freshly thawed (frozen) and not live.Live isn't the best anyway,as both the snake and/or the prey can become injured.When I get my snake it will be fed frozen.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:06 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

yes i think frozen is your best option
all you have to do is set them in warm water for 15min
and whala dinner is served....
its not that bad.......

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Curmudgeon

I agree with Sasami. If you can't stand the possibility of feeding the animal it's food, a carnivore might not be the ideal pet for you.

There are alternatives, ...like "snausages", but their palatability and nutritional content are somewhat questionable. I don't know any professional keepers who feed them to their animals. Most snakes can be acclimated to pre-killed, that's about the best you can hope for. At least then you can buy food in bulk and keep it in the freezer, but as to whether or not any individual snake will eat them, there is no guarantee.

There are even some questions about the nutrition of frozen food, depending on how it was killed, how long before it was frozen, and how long it was frozen.

Because they are burrowing snakes, they feel more comfortable in an enclosed space. A good way to feed that we've found, is to put a cloth bag on the floor of their enclosure, put their food in the cloth bag, and then put the snake in the bag. Leave it warm and quiet overnite, and the usually eat. The side benefit for you, is that way, if you're squeamish, you don't have to watch.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

it's ok

I think the frozen food will be easyer for you , I'd feed my guys frozen food but they wont eat it. I have to give them live food. So I buy pinkins and then drop them in and walk away.

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Hey I know you.

Anyways...Frozen/thawed all the way.

Best place to get the feeders?

Canadian Feeders - Your One Stop Feeder Shop!

I get things for my fish,turtles& lizards off there.
& I wouldn't ever buy a thing from a pet store again when you see the quality.

Definately frozen/ thawed though.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:37 AM
RAT ADDICT

I second Canadian Feeders.I have gotten the best quality feeders from them!

* Lisa *

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:17 PM

I should also add,some snakes won't eat
frozen/ thawed.
Some snakes are even as particular as they won't eat a certain COLOR mouse or rat.
Yes,color.

I've called around for awhile before I found my perfect snake.
An albino cornsnake who was raised on frozen/ thawed.
When I went to look at other snakes& found out they wouldnt accept frozen/ thawed,I knew they weren't the snake for me.

This may not be the snake for you.
I wouldn't try to switch something the snake is used to.
Before you get it,make sure it'll accept the food your
planning on giving it.
The pet comes first.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 12:15 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh thats true.There is a girl on here somewhere who works at a zoo and there is a snake there that will ONLY eat dark colored mice.Some snakes are particular when it comes to their dinner as well.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Adolescent Pup

Most times a snake will learn to eat frozen/thawed. It might take some tricks but we have MANY snakes and they all eat the frozen/thawed. The one we had the hardest time getting to eat was one of our Ball Pythons but he eventually gave in and started eating. Corns aren't that picky usually. BUT remember that snakes don't require food as we do. They can go weeks and even months without eating with NO problems. Invest in a kitchen scale and weigh it when you first get it and every so often.. then if he goes on a hunger strike you can see how much if any weight he is losing. Also in the spring males will go on a hunger strike very often it's mating time and even if there isn't a female around they can tell instinctively from the change in temp.

Feeding alternatives are NOT healthy for the snake so if you can't feed the frozen/thawed then a snake is definitely not the pet for you. They don't get the nutrients they need and the starve to death and it isn't pretty, plus it is harder to get them to accept it as a food source. Feeding live isn't generally a good idea either as the snake can get hurt in the process this is more dangerous as the snake grows and the food gets larger and can fight back better.

If you have any questions, let me know.

~Jenn

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 11:41 PM

Great post ^^^
I know those "snake sausages" (tis what I refer to them as,it's what I heard them called...they could very well be "snausages"... )
isn't recommended by any breeder I heard of yet.
Before I got really interested in snakes I was considering feeding them that,& I was told it was beyond cruel.

I wouldn't feed live,I like to see the snake accept dead before I bring them home because then I don't really have to work at trying to get them to eat dead. (Plus i'd just get attached to the live mice anyway )
But I agree,if you can't feed frozen/ thawed...this isn't a pet for you.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 12:36 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
But I agree,if you can't feed frozen/ thawed...this isn't a pet for you.
For sure!

* Lisa *

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:52 AM
Curmudgeon

It looks like the OP hasn't been on since asking the question. Guess it didn't really matter.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Tags
ball python, pet store