Feeding Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Feeding Question

Just a question about feeding. I have a corn snake 'cheerios'. I got some prekilled frozen mice from PetSmart and normally they give us good ones but this time it was someone new. I asked for fuzzies (sp) and I got then. I went to go feed her on Saturday , so I did would I normally but and put the mouse in warm water and let it thaw out. I went to go feed her the mouse and I noticed its eyes were all pussy.

Sorry about the long story, but anyways is it okay to feed her mice like that. I threw that mouse out and just skipped feeding her then because all the mice looked weird and I didn't feel safe feeding her them.

So does anybody know if their safe? Or know whats going on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Herp Nerd

It probably wouldn't have hurt your snake at all, pretty much any kind of illness that would affect a rat isn't going to affect a snake - and the digestion process is pretty good at breaking down things too, so if the rat had an eye infection or something, it likely would have just been digested away. I've seen wild snakes trying to pry bloated and long past rotten road kill off the side of the highway... but honestly, you're paying good money, you should be getting a good quality food for your pet, and it is always better to be safe than sorry. If the rodent doesn't look right to you, it's probably better to not feed it than to do so. I usually end up giving the nastier looking stuff, it happens every now and then even with the best of rodent suppliers, to my monitor lizards, because they often eat carrion in the wild anyway.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.

Tags
corn snake