First Snake... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question First Snake...

I've wanted to move from catching little red racers in my backyard to purchasing a "real" snake for a while now, and I wanted to know what to look for. I know that cornsnakes make good starter snakes, but I'd like to know a few things and have some opinions before I run to the pet store and buy a cornsnake manual. So if anyone's got any better suggestions for first snakes or information regarding cornsnakes as pets, let me know! Thanks!

...and the leopard is transparent, like iced tea. ~ John Ashbery

Proud owner of a Rat Terrier, a Three-toed Box Turtle, two Hermit Crabs, one Western Fence Lizard and a Betta fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 01:11 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I would go with the corns -- if you handle them right they really are pretty docile by nature. They get to be a fairly good size and come in a variety of colors as well. I love mine.

Really, there is no such thing as a good starter snake ... it all depends on the criteria that you want to be met.

As far as other decent snakes good for beginners go ... I would include ball pythons (if you have the room) and certain types of kingsnakes and milk snakes ...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My little brother's ball python experience was a disaster, but he got it right before we moved and then he couldn't wait to hold it, so it ended up striking at everyone. My mom definetly wouldn't want a python in the house after that, but I love them.

I'm really looking for an inexpensive snake. I'm willing to spend whatever time and money on equipment and housing, but the snake and it's food should be inexpensive, because I'm the one paying for it all. Again, time isn't an issue, as I happen to be homeschooled, but money is my big problem.

I'm pretty sure a cornsnake would be good as far as what I'm able to do. ^_^

Proud owner of a Rat Terrier, a Three-toed Box Turtle, two Hermit Crabs, one Western Fence Lizard and a Betta fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah, corn snakes are great moneywise -- they don't cost much initially and setup is pretty simple as long as you plan ahead.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ok, thanks! ^^

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 04:30 PM

I would go with a ball python. They have very good temperments as long as you find a good one. Go to your local pet store and look at them and handle all of them. Find one thT dosen't seem to be agressive. I have had a ball for a year now and it never once has bitten me nor struck at me. So i would recomend a ball. Corn snakes bite way to much in my experience.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My little brother had a ball python and it struck at everyone, but he got it the day before we moved out of the county and then he started handling it the day after we settled in, so it makes sense to me. Are ball pythons easier/cheaper to keep?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 06:21 PM

I have had no problems taking care of mine and she is a complete sweetheart. i have had her a year and she is 3 1/2 ft. Like I said you just want to handle all of them. I handle about 6 snakes and she was the calmest. the rest were striking or just didn't seem right. She will let you do anything you want to her. I highly recamend a ball. There fairly easy to take care of. My experience with corn snakes has not been that good. they seem to bite allot. Your brother probly got a wild caught ball. you want to try to get a captive bred one it really helps they seem to be allot calmer. But that is my reconmendation. Any other question feel free to ask.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've raised 3 corns without having any of them ever bite me ... it is all about how/when you handle them, IMO. There are always exceptions in individuals but as long as you follow some basic ground rules they are a very mild-tempered species.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 08:22 PM

Thats funny any corn snake I have ever handled has struck and been agressive its in ther nature.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Herp Nerd

Biting/striking at all is a defensive reaction, not an aggressive one. Corn snakes are by far the most commonly bred snake because of their generally calm temperments, not to say there aren't ones out there with an attitude, but its very rare. Wild ones generally will be much more defensive and edgy than captive born ones. Other rat snake species, that look very much like corn snakes as babies, do tend to have more of an attitude. Texas rat snakes are particularily known for it.

The choices available in colors and patterns of corn snakes is absolutely astounding. I had two clutches hatch here this year. Amels (no black), hypos (reduced amount of black), anerys (no red), snows (no red and no black), as well as a few "normals". I recently got a female opal, which is a reduced pattern, lavendar color that I'm hoping to start a project with as soon as she is old enough.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Newborn Pup

Cool

Hey all,
I'm new to the site as well, and just want to say that I have fallen in love with my Ball Python. I named him Goliath. I've had him going on about 6 months now and he is about 28 inches in length. With my busy sched I havent had time to measure him. The day that i went to purchase a snake i saw him with about 4 other ball pythons and he was the most active and he had just ate and struck at my girlfriends hand, and she said she wanted that one. She's owned 3 snakes before so i took her suggestion. I've never had any problems with feeding him, or handling him, he loves to crawl over my head when laying in bed and hide his face in my hair, and with my girlfriend he hangs off her hair when its in a bun. He's been great, I just cant wait for the summer so that i can take him outside with me from time to time.

Tags
ball python, captive bred, corn snake, corn snakes, local pet store, pet store