Gartner Snakes as Pets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Gartner Snakes as Pets

Anyone have experience with pet gartners? How do you care for them? What are they like to own? Are they able to be tamed?
Any info appreciated. I think when I move I might get to own one.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:20 AM
Curmudgeon

I guess, like any animal, it depends on your definition of a nice pet. If you want something that looks nice in an aquarium, and is interesting to watch... Garter snakes can be kind of cool.

However, if you want a snake you can hold and interact with, ...they would not be one of my favorites. Most don't seem to enjoy contact with people, even captive raised ones. They will sometimes defecate on you, and they exude a substance that most people (and animals) find unpleasant as a form of defense.

I'd recommend one of the milk or kingsnakes as a better pet. Not very big (3-4'), eat mice, can be very docile and some of them are very attractive. My personal favorite is the Sinaloan Milksnake, but there are many types out there.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

growing up my dad had a pet gartner snake named sneaky...my dad loved that guy big time lol he owuld let him lose while he was home to watch him and sneaky tolerated my dad holding him...loved to ite us but had a bond with my dad I guess...I don't know much about them so I can't help with specifics...my dad found sneaky when he (sneaky) was very tiny in the road hurt and nursed him back...he lived a very long life in a huge cage my dad hand built...I know I couldn't own one just cause I am a cuddler lol I hope my dads story helps a little lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 03:25 PM

Lightbulb Garter Snakes As Pets

For the most part I would agree with Bob, but would respectfully disagree with his choice of a milksnake as an alternative. We have a Pueblan milksnake and its an absolutely beautiful animal, but will almost always deficate and urinate when its handled. I've found that in general, colubrids are very uneasy about being handled and if the opportunity arises, will quickly slither away.

My suggestion to you would be to consider a Ball Python or a Dumeril's Boa. Both are very docile and my personal experience with each have been that they actually enjoy being handled if done so correctly and respectfully. I currently have one of each and every time I open the lid to their enclosures they will come out from wherever they are to greet me.

My Ball is about 5 years old and is only about 4 1/2' long.

Check out our website (Pets.tk & Caresheet.com) for caresheets on garter snakes and ball pythons.

&
| Caresheets for pet reptiles, amphibians and small animals.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Gartner snakes are cool - there's a lot of them around here, me and my brother use to catch them all the time but then let them go again.

Once me and my friend found one that had gotten attacked by a cat. Poor thing got bitten in the face. We took it to a vet and everything and ended up keeping it because it lost a eye from the cat and had some nerve damage, and wouldn't have survived if we let him go. Anyways my friend ended up keeping him and moving away so I'm not really sure if he ever got use to handeling or anything like that.

If you want a pet snake I would consider looking at ball pythons or corn snakes. I've had both and they both tolerated handeling very well. Corn snakes are neat because they come in so many diffrent colors.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:51 PM

Lightbulb

Colubrids in general don't care to be handled. Given the opportunity they will attempt to make a hasty escape. We have a 6 year old Pueblan Milksnake and invariably everytime its handled it deficates and urinates on its handler, and its handled on a regular basis.

I would recommend a Ball Python if you're a beginner. They are very docile, hardy and don't get too large. We have a 5 year old and its only 4 1/2' long.

We have caresheets for the garter snake and ball python on our website...

&
| Caresheets for pet reptiles, amphibians and small animals.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i used to catch wild ones all the time and really i dont think they minded me much, indifferent but didnt mind. never got bit and never pooped on. i never kept them longer than a few hours but i really like them and if i were to have a pet snake it is the kind i would get.

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 08:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

They are a cute little snake...but I heard they are really fast moving and not a very handable snake.I would look into corns or something like that!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Curmudgeon

Lets be clear.....

They are Garter Snakes, not Gartner snakes.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i always thought they were garden snakes when i was little.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Haha me too!

Didn't help that I use to find them in my parents garden allll the time!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

me too! it made sence to me! i havent seen one in years though.. i still think my granny calls them gardener snakes

I was watching e-vets on animal planet and someone had a garter snake! it was super cute.. she saved it from the lawnmower and kept it as a pet (not sure i agree with wild caught but really... it doesnt bother me that much the snake had a great life) they showed it eatting gold fish and worms... it was kinda neato.. i dont know if i could feed it goldfish but the lady said that she loved her snake she watches tv with it and the snake seams to like her as much as any snake seams too...

from my experience they arent fast moving... maybe more so as babies but they just kinda lazily slither around... i used to catch them all the time and they werent that speedy.. plus they cant climb...

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Newborn Pup

the only experience ive had was with a baby i kept it alive for a few months in a 10 gallon tank with a heat lamp, that mulchy reptile bedding, a water bowl, and a little cave. it sadly died and i think it was from him slipping right out of my hands and landing upside down =[ i really loved that snake as he was my first and only so far. o yeah i cought him with a sibling after the mother just gave birth to them and that night he ate his own sibling! he was a wild one from the start. anyway they like eating earthworms, slugs, and the pet stores say guppies but ive had no experience with guppies.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

with a Garter they eat mice and such just like a normal snake but if you get some smaller goldfish in a deep enough tray they will go fishing. Mine loved goldfish , they also enjoy crikets . If you get one from a breeder or petstore yea they can be tamed, mine was lighting fast though so watch out for that, the more you handel them the more they will get use to you. If you catch one from the wild it could have a sickness or mites and other nasty things. I've caught garters out my boyfriends house all the time and we put them back outside. You care for them almost like any other animal, clean water, take them out (not after they haev eaten because sometimes they will regurgitate what they have just eaten . You clean their home and they love having wooden homes to hide in and fake grass plants help them shed along with a rock or something ruff. They also require a heating pad like most snakes. Sometimes if you can't find your snake check under thier water dish b/c mine use to love to chill under there. also if they are under thier sand or bark whichever you choose to use you can gentaly put your fingure under the sand and slowly move it around till you see the little guy move. Do this with care because if you scare them you could get bitten but from what i've seen they are calmer snakes.

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Adolescent Pup

I find the corns are the easiest starter snakes. They can be kinda difficult to handle when they are babies but the more you handle them the easier they get. They don't bite much and when they do they don't really break the skin. Ball pythons are very docile snakes but often are hard to get established with eating so if ou ae getting one as your first snake I'd recommend getting an established one.. about a year old to start.

Always ask what the snake is accustomed to eating when getting one. They have their quirks like any other animal. Some only eat mice.. some rats.. some the color of the rat matters etc. They really all do have their own little personalities.

~Jenn

Tags
animal planet, ball python, corn snake, corn snakes, gold fish, heating pad, pet store, pet stores, water bowl