getting along - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 08:23 AM
nolagurl

Question getting along

Just a question...I'm about to move into a larger apartment & I'm finally going to have both of my snakes in the same apt. I was wondering if they would get along together when taken out of their tanks. One's a 6ft Boa, the other is a 3.5ft Ball Python. I just don't want to find out the hard way!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 01:26 PM

I have a 5 1/2 ft red tail boa and a 4 1/2 bald python. Both have been housed in the same tank since they were small. The only problem I have ever had was the boa (male) decided to try to mate with the python (female) a couple of times. I just seperated them for a couple of days and they were fine.

I'm not sure about your's since mine have been together for so long, but I wouldn't think they would care. They certainly would bite or anything.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 02:15 PM
nolagurl

Talking

I don't think that mating will be a problem...since the Boa is female and the Python is male. She is a **** of a lot bigger than he is! I was just concerned about them striking @ one another.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 02:24 PM

Well, The last line should have read "they certainly wouldn't bite or anything". I'm not a professional so I'm not sure but I don't think they would. Since they would be in neutral territory and not in their tanks, I can't see a problem. I wouldn't recommend put one in the other's tank though. That could be seen as a invasion of territory.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 02:57 PM

My snakes are fed out of their tank and are not around each other for about an hour after feeding. The only concern I had about him trying to mate with her was he was very insistent and wouln't stop trying until they were seperated even though it's impossible. They live in a 70 gallon tank and are normally no where near each other. They will come together to the heat rock when it's cold but that's about it. The boa spends most of his time on the log that's in there and the python likes to curl up beside the corner of the tank. I've never had any problems (other than the mating thing) and I've had them for 6 1/2 years in the same tank. Like I said in the last post, nola I wouldn't put them together now that they are grown but I don't think they would mind being out together on the floor.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 03:46 PM

Actually he is only around 6 and the python is 6 1/2. But he's still small for his age. I'm not sure why. I took him to the vet and they said he was fine, just small. We feed him a very large rat every 2 weeks as recommended by our vet. He inhales it and would eat until you stopped giving him more. Our python is our picky eater and won't eat unless everything is silent and motionless. That means the dog is outside, ferret out of hearing range, and no people except the one offering food. I've taken her in too and they said that pythons are just that way.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 04:46 PM

Tortis,
I got worried so I measured our Boa. He's 6 1/4 feet long. So I guess he's grown a little since the last time I checked. Thanks for the info. We are going to try feeding our python in the dark next time and see if it helps. She won't eat live food either but also won't eat them if they have been frozen. They must be warm but not alive. I think she's just picky. LOL!

Tags
ball python, red tail boa