Indian Sand Boa - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Indian Sand Boa

I've been researching snakes for months. I planned on getting a couple Columbian Red Tail and a Brazilian Rainbow boa, so have gathered supplies, amassed the proper sized feeder rodents, and thought of a 'set up' to accommodate such sized snakes.

Today, a teacher at the college where I work/attend offered me his indian sand boa, setup and all, for free. I of course agreed, having handled the dear before. When I first started the job in the biology department, I was surprised to see an Indian sand boa - I hardly ever seen them for sale - or anywhere for that matter. The teacher had done some DNA work with the snake but hadn't the time to handle it nor the space to take it home. The snake was placed on a shelf in the rear of the zoology lab. It was cared for - food, water, clean housing, heat, hide etc - but not really handled very much.

It's a pretty little juvenile, docile, nice color. Excellent eater too - You'd expect it to refuse food after being moved, handled all day. I set him down on my floor and offered a fresh killed large mouse pink, and he swallowed it right down.

It's in shed right now, I hope to get some better pictures when it's out. I took some pics of it eating, mainly because I was so surprised.

I never really took a fancy to sand boas, but they're kinda cute in their own way.

Because I'm not very creative, 'His' name is Johnii.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Hello Earthling

Congrats!!!!! Pictures

I usually try not to feed them during their shed.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

The poor thing needs some tlc. His shed is coming off in pieces, and is apparently 5 or 6 YEARS old. He still has juvenile coloring, and isn't terribly big - a couple inches longer than my fingertip to elbow. I'll measure him when he's digested a few days. I figured it was just a juvenile, less than a couple years. Didn't think it would be that old! The previous owner says it's obviously male. It does have beautiful color, unusual that it kept it this long.

It is active, and apparently a good eater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Hello Earthling

Poor baby! teast he is with someone who has the time for him

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 06:25 AM

Congrats!! Post some pics of him please! They are gorgeous. And good luck with him!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats!

I worked for my schools biology department while I was attending college as well and ended up with a gecko, fish, frogs, and some other animals that I rehomed.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:11 AM

The male Sand Boas are going to be a lot smaller than the females. I like the Kenyans because they have the Halloween colors.