Photos! My new California king snake - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

My new California king snake

My friend became entranced with my snakes, so about six months ago she got her own. From the start, this little man has partially been mine. I advised my friend about what to feed him and buy him, and even helped pick him out and name him.
Lately, she's been neglecting him. She refused to buy larger heating apparatus as winter approached, leaving him with a warm side of 70 degrees when it should have been 90. She never misted him during sheds, so they started becoming patchy and flaky. She forgot to feed him in two-week stretches.
Eventually, I just flat out told her she was neglecting her snake and that if she didn't want him anymore I'd take him. The only reason she didn't want me to take him was (get this): "It's cool to tell people I have a snake." Not a great pet owner, was she?

So now he's home, safe and sound. And take a gander at this beauty! His name is Jade, he's a striped Cali king. This was a few months ago, on his previous owner's hand.

Two cats, a dog, thirteen hermit crabs, seven mice (and babies), four African soft fur rats (and babies), two fiddler crabs, five assorted fishies, a mystery snail, an African clawed frog, a corn snake, a ball python, a California king snake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Hello Earthling

He gorgeous.

Don't you just hate it when people just get things because it's "cool" ? Owning a snake is cool if you going to take proper care of it.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Part of the Pack

He is a beaut!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

aww he is lovely!

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 AM
RAT ADDICT

He is beautiful!!!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

He's gorgeous!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

he is cute, love the poka dots! my roommate is kind of like that he got a ball python though with out knowing anything about it! I am trying to help him but i do not want a snake once its coolness wears off. We are having a horrible time trying to get it to eat. its temps are right, but it has refused frozen thawed, live gerbil, and a live mouse. Now i have a gerbil and a mouse and he has an anorexic snake. We will try frozen again soon.

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
he is cute, love the poka dots! my roommate is kind of like that he got a ball python though with out knowing anything about it! I am trying to help him but i do not want a snake once its coolness wears off. We are having a horrible time trying to get it to eat. its temps are right, but it has refused frozen thawed, live gerbil, and a live mouse. Now i have a gerbil and a mouse and he has an anorexic snake. We will try frozen again soon.
Try African soft fur rats I heard they are good to get a fussy ball python to eat.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i don't even know where to find them. none of the stores around sell them, i think it just needs to get pretty hungry. the past owner was feeding live gerbils

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:15 PM
I am allergic to maths

Sounds a bit pricey! As for the 'cool' thing, I hear ya! I have a friend who is obsessed with bunnys and when I asked her if she could handle one and if she had the money for the vet she said 'well, of course if it was ill I would take it to the vet but no regular check-ups, I dont wanna stress it out'', when I said what if it needs to be nuetered or spayed she said 'what does that mean?', thats when I started getting mad, I said why do you want a pet you know nothing about? and she said 'Coz they are cute and I do know stuff about them, I know they ALL like carrots and thats what id feed 'em on, no hay, its bad for them' I said no offence I would hope you dont get any animals then- prepare to hear something stupid and cruel- she said 'I dont want any other animal, they are all mean and smell but bunny wabbits are absoulutely perfect!', she carried on saying how I am stupid to be going veg., want pets that arent rabbits and other stuff but I walked away at this point, no wonder her parents wont let her have a pet. Sorry to hijack your thread, that is a beautiful snake!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks, all. I absolutely hate how many people who refuse to do the research before buying an animal. If you don't know anything about it and only want it because it's cool, then you shouldn't get a pet!

Oh, and about soft furs, yessir, they are very very good for getting a ball python to eat. And they're the perfect size for an adult BP without the horrible stench of rats.
And they're awful cute too.

Two cats, a dog, thirteen hermit crabs, seven mice (and babies), four African soft fur rats (and babies), two fiddler crabs, five assorted fishies, a mystery snail, an African clawed frog, a corn snake, a ball python, a California king snake
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

rats don't smell bad i had 5 before.

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
rats don't smell bad i had 5 before.
I agree.I have 11 pet rats and they are not smelly animals.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

They sure smell when you defrost them.
And if you're breeding for feeder, you normally have smaller cages/bins along with more rats to a cage/bin, so yes, when you're breeding them for feeders they do indeed smell, even if you clean the cage/bin once a week.
Nowhere near as much as mice though, haha.

I'm not implying they're smelly pets though.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

Thereís a beauty. It looks like a cross between the banded and striped morph.

Tags
snake california king