My Son's Ball Python - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Indecision Queen

Exclamation My Son's Ball Python

Well here is Eric's Ball Python which he named 'Candy'. He is the one that is allergic to most thing with hair(no problems with Owen as of yet!) so he is the reason we got into reptiles. So when he came to me and Casey and said he wanted a snake it was music to Casey's ears, since he has always wanted one but was never able to have one.
So we sat Eric down and showed him Corn Snakes and Ball Python's (both for their passive demeanor and beginner aspects) and he decided he liked the Ball's better.
In July 2003 when we got her she was 18.5 in. and weighed 56 grams. We need to update her weight as well as everyone else's!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ball1resized.jpeg (45.0 KB, 98 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Indecision Queen

Here is a close up of her markings, they are all outlined in white! See her hyroglyphic 'running man'?
She's on the last phase of shedding so please excuse the skin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ball2resized.jpeg (38.2 KB, 90 views)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 10:01 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

oh cool! I've seen a ball python before at a pet store, we watched her eat a mouse!

(actually it was pretty impressive)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Wanted: New Title

Balls seem like very likable snakes. If we ever get a snake, it will be a ball.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Poopsie AppleNose

Hey angelaT, very nice looking baby BP ya got there, remember when snakes shed it all comes off at once so if there are any parts still on the body make sure to soak for few mins in light luke warm water and help to get the rest shed off.. also when done shedding look at the skin and make sure eye caps came off to.. retained eye caps are bad and also retained shed will cause probs with the skin.. make sure you have proper humidity in your cage.. Also BP's are natorious for long hunger strikes when they get older... Nice choice of snake though.... What size prey is it eatting at this time and what type are you feeding it??

Enter House At Own Risk Tarantulas Loose Everywhere... Critter Freak!!

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Indecision Queen

well we soak her twice a week anyway cause she loves the bath but if she is shedding we do it three times a week and this is only her sixth time to shed so I think she is still working on it and I spray her enclosure three times a day so her humidity is fine. We already had a chore with her eye caps last shed, we ended up soaking her for a long time and working them off with a Q-Tip. She was such a good girl while we were doing it to I was so proud of her. I figured if she was going to be aggressive at any point it would be then.
I'm also aware of the hunger strikes, I do alot of research before ever adopting an animal(I think everyone should have to write an essay and pass a test on whatever type of animal they are wanting.) so I made sure I knew what we where getting into before getting her.
Right now she is eating frozen fuzzy to hopper sized mice every Saturday.

~Angela and the group~
Oscar~ Male Crested Gecko
Burt~ Male Leopard Gecko
Ernie~ Male Leopard Gecko
Candy~ Female Ball Python
Gidget~ Female Leopard Gecko
Paige~ Female Cholcolate Chihuahua
Marley~ Female Harlequin Great Dane
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Poopsie AppleNose

Hey angelaT, i think thats great you learned all about BP's befour getting one, alot of people dont and it ends up being a throw away pet.. The only reason why i said anything about the shed soaking was because in the pic it has some shed left on it... By the way if your BP is over 18 inches go ahead and bump it up to a small adult mouse.... Trust me i know what im talking about and doing as i have been working with and owning boas and pythons and other snakes since i was young... We always had alot of BP's come into rescue over the yrs..

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Indecision Queen

Well thankyou for mentioning it anyway it's always better to offer information than assume that they know what they are doing isn't it! She due for the tub tonight but the temperatures have dropped so much in the last few days that I hesitate to do it tonight I may do it in the morning when she has all day to warm up if she wants.
If I start her on adult mice how often should I feed her? I was starting to wonder if I should bump her up because it doesn't take very long for her to be done eating, and have it completely swallowed. I would say it only takes her10-15 minutes to eat and be done. That seems awfully quick to me, does it to you?

~Angela and the group~
Burt~ Male Leopard Gecko
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 05:49 PM
I Heart My Job

that's a very pretty snake you have there

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Poopsie AppleNose

Your Bp is eatting at a normal rate, some snakes take along time to eat depending on prey size and what not.. My big girl takes a half hour to eat her meals, cassies corn snake well thats another story she eats non stop anything ya throw in there and its gone befour ya can say wow thats fast.. LOL!!! Ok, now since shes eatting that well then go with a full size adult mouse, give her one every 7 days, when she reachs alot bigger in size and is on rats then you can cut her down to feedings once every 12 days.. By the way do you have under the tank heating on one end for her?? If not you can use a people heatting pad under the tank at one end set on low, that will give her belly heat and also help to digest the prey she eats.. Also one other thing, what is it you are using for bedding?? Most people use news paper or aspen, cypress mulch for snakes, i my self preffer news paper then indoor outdoor patio carpet, it comes in lots nice colors is washable and also looks great and easy to vac and clean... Hope that all helps... You BP should have cage temps at 90 hot end and 79 cool end..

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Indecision Queen

Well right now we are using the same thing we have in our Leopard Gecko cages which is called 'Lizard Litter' it is ground up coconut shells and it really doesn't help with the humidity, which is why I spray her three times a day. But the cleaning of her cage was cut in half ad it's easier for my son to help because all he has to do is sift the poop out and was everything(which I do). And no right now we don't have any heat source underneath her but the weather just changed. In a two day period it went from 76 degrees to 38degrees so our to do's for tomorrow is getting heat sources for everyone.
But she does have a bulb on one end of her tank.

~Angela and the group~
Burt~ Male Leopard Gecko
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Poopsie AppleNose

:bfly: Ok simple easy way to help care for your BP the best, now you dont have to do this but it will help keep your snake alot more healthy and it will start shedding more normal.. First ditch the bedding and go with the news paper and carpet over that.. Then get the under tank heater pad and set it to low on one end of the tank, prefferably where the hide house sits, light on top at other end, you need to keep the temps where i stated.. now, use a water dish big enough for the BP to get in it if it wants for soaking, fill it half way incase it does that way the water wont spill out.. Your snake is deffinately drying out because of the bedding.. BPs dont require super high humidity but they do need it.. The water bowl will help to produce that humidity, cover the non lit area with a small towel thats moist when she goes into the blue-same things as when shes gona shed.. This will help alot next shedding.. If her cage temps stay to low she can get a case of RI and ya dont want that.. Oh and by the way im not trying to make it sound like im telling you what to do im just trying to help thats all.. :bfly: so please dont take me the wrong way...

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Beanie Fanatics Anonymous Member

neat pics!

I Love You Logan & Cledus!!!

Logan Indy Ping-Pong Pinkerton Gissa Cledus

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 10:35 PM

by the way reptile litter is dangerious to herps
there has been many cases of inpaction with the use of that is a substrate. anyways BPs arent found on sandy areas.

just want to give my 2 cents

ashley
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 11:06 AM
buny2phat

beautiful snake!!! it has wonderful markings.

Tags
ball python, corn snake, corn snakes, leopard gecko, pet store, water bowl