new to snakes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

new to snakes

Hello, my girlfriend and i have decided to get a snake. We would like to know what kind of snake would be good for begginers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Weren't you the person who had trouble finding a good vet? Snakes are exotics so make sure you have an excellent reptile vet lined up. Many vets won't treat them.

Corn snakes are usually good "beginner" snakes. They're small, inexpensive, hardy, come in lots of colors, can be handled, and take frozen mice without problems. A lot of people recommend ball pythons but they take more effort to switch onto frozen foods and they're more sensitive to heat/humidity issues.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Curmudgeon

This is a subject that comes up frequently. There are a lot of differing options, ..and opinions.
Try searching the forums.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Playful Pup

I'm thinking of getting a ball python. My friend had one and the thing was great and after I got over the fear of holding one I fell in absolute love and have been wanting one since. I hear there are sometimes issues with feeding so that's something to be read into more if you want one (I'm actually looking up info tonight to learn more before I decide)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

i would get a corn snake. the ball pythons have a weird head and the corn snakes(in my opinion) have a really cute head! and theyre colorful and you dont need a huge aquarium thing for them (idk if you do for ball pythons but some snakes get huge) i have one and he has never acted aggressive towards me(you would think me being a new person he would, but nope)

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Betta Bomb

I have to agree. If you can find a good who will look at snakes ONLY then you should begin research on them for your home, it would be pointless to get one and not have a professional for it. I think a couple days or months spent looking at FAQ's and talking to breeders would be best before jumping the gun. You must factor in things like set-up, lights, heat, food, temperment, size requirements, um... yea. Do your research.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Resident Zoologist

I will concur on the: 1. Do more research; 2. Choose a corn snake.

Corns are an excellent choice due to size, ease of care, and personality, but you need to first source all your equipment and caging before you start looking for a snake.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 11:58 AM
RAT ADDICT

Corns are really good beginner snakes.
Make sure you do any and all research before getting any snake.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Playful Pup

I had a corn as my first snake and I highly recommend it,, they are great for beginners, for many reasons,, I have recently upgraded to ball pythons so I have 3 corns and 2 balls,, oh and yea snakes are addicting. I do recommend getting from a breeder or adopting a no longer wanted snake,, I do prefer getting a snake that is bigger rather than getting a baby. but that is personal preferance.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter Colony View Post
I do prefer getting a snake that is bigger rather than getting a baby. but that is personal preferance.
Not entirely. Getting a well-established juvenile is preferable to getting a baby, particularly for beginners...the former are easier to feed, hardier, and less fragile when it comes to handling.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Adolescent Pup

Both species make great pets IF you do your research first. You have a bit less wiggle room for mistakes with ball pythons.

Corn snakes are more active.
Ball pythons are better 'sit and watch tv with me' snakes.

Some ball pythons have feeding issues...so do some corn snakes, though it's even more rare. If you choose a ball python, get one from a breeder who is already feeding it frozen/thawed, and get its feeding records with it, so you can see for yourself that it's been eating weekly. You should have no issues if you set up the enclosure correctly.

DO NOT buy your animal from a pet store. Buy from a breeder. There is likely one local to you, but if not, they can be shipped. Check references before buying from a breeder. Be prepared to pay more for having an animal shipped. Remember that these animals may live up to 30 years.

BUY A BOOK ON CARE...AND READ IT...BEFORE YOU BUY THE ANIMAL.
Buy the equipment and set it all up and adjust it before you buy the animal.

Last edited by WingedWolfPsion; 01-21-2012 at 09:33 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
Not entirely. Getting a well-established juvenile is preferable to getting a baby, particularly for beginners...the former are easier to feed, hardier, and less fragile when it comes to handling.
just curious are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?? All I was trying to say is that I prefer an older snake to hatchling,, others prefer hatchlings so they can watch them grow,,,, I guess I dont really understand your wording.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

Maybe he misunderstood. I agree too, by the way--a juvenile or adult is much more robust, and you also have a clear idea of the snake's personality and feeding pattern by then. (Hatchlings are nippy, flighty, and can be more picky).