Pics of my Indian Sand Boa - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Pics of my Indian Sand Boa

I soaked him today in some warm water, and helped him get his patchy shed off. He looks like a brand new snake. I got some new pics today. Can't wait till it's warm enough to take some of him outside, I can't get his colors right between the indoor lighting and the camera flash. Some are pretty good, though. There is a pic of him eating a mouse pink at the very bottom - avoid that one if you don't want to see it.

The first pic is about right in color.

A little darker than what he is:

A little darker than what he is:

BELOW is the pic of him eating a mouse pink - backwards. He managed it well, however. This was BEFORE his soak, you can see his patchy shed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Hello Earthling

He gorgeous!!! Looks like you got a butt eater, my snake eat them that way too even though I have told her its easier the other way

He must be pretty small to be feeding on pinkies still.?. You said he was 6 or 7 years old in your other thread?

Can't wait for more pictures.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

He's gorgeous!

My ball python always tries to eat mice sideways .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

4 or 5 years if I recall correctly. I think he just 'seems' pretty small. I just measured him, he's longer than I thought - 22" or so. They're the largest of the sand boas, maxing out around 4'. The males are smaller, so he is probably appropriately sized for his age - it's almost impossible to find any information on this species. There are litterally NO care sheets coming up in google and I can't even find a breeder anywhere to talk to. I got some pics to show his size, etc. He's got such a teeny lil head.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Oh, wow, he's so tiny! I know that they're small, but the pictures still surprised me for some reason .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Hello Earthling

Awe he's just a little squirt

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Herp Nerd

Sand boas have hugely disproportionate sizes between males and females. I almost fear for my little male rough scaled sand boas who are tiny compared to the females.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 AM

He is gorgeous! And so small. Is the care a lot different to other sand boas such as kenyan sand boas or rough scaled sand boas?

I've found this care sheet if your interested:

http://www.kingsnake.com/sandboa/johnii.html

But the care it mentions i think is just general sand boa care.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah that's the ONLY care sheet I could find that was species specific. Apparently they're really unusual in the pet trade, probably because they're not very flashy. He does seem really small, but since there's such a size difference between m/f, he might be full grown. For his species, he's got GORGEOUS color apparently.

I'm enjoying him.

Caprice Acres

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 AM
RAT ADDICT

Nice looking critter! I don't think I have seen one of them before!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Herp Nerd

Indian Sand Boas aren't very common, primarily because of where they're from. The majority of their range is actually Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan, and northern India. Regions that are less than easy to get into and export animals out of these days. Most available nowadays are captive bred, from stock that was imported to the US around 10 years ago when they were a bit more popular... back when other Ericine snakes, like rosy boas and rubber boas were also more popular. There are even a few color morphs out there, with high orange and high white, and variations on the banding.

Pretty much all sand boas have similar care needs. I'm not aware of anything different that applies only to johnii, aside from their general habitat, which tends to be more variable than other species.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 06:24 AM

Very nice snake, gotta love sand boas!

I really need to get some pics up of my scaley family soon don't I!

I must say i have never seen an Indian sand boa before, mine are all Kenyan san boas, but he is lovely i do admit!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:11 AM
chinchilla breeder

He is pretty...that is one thing I have never had..a snake. But they seem to be neat pets. (I will stick to my fluffy pets though)

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..