Plastic tub vivarium? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Plastic tub vivarium?

I am planning on getting another snake in addition to my ball python, who is doing very well. Although, I am short on money, and I am wondering if a large plastic tub would be alright for a vivarium. I don't think an undertank heater would make the plastic melt if it was a heavyduty tub, but i need to find a way to circulate air without having to pierce holes into the plastic. This is a last ditch effort, if I could buy a large, comfy glass tank I would, but I can't pull 500.00 from my pocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i think many have snakes in tubs... look around the web on how to make good ones.. or wait and get a snake later, or get a smaller snake.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Hello Earthling

Yes, you can house snakes in plastic tubs. Under tank heaters are fine with a thermostat, but you HAVE to make holes or use mesh for ventilation.You also cannot use heat lights if your going to use the lid that goes with the tub or you'll end up over heating your snake.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Hello Earthling

Check out this link

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 01:26 PM

What kind of snake are you getting or want to get? If it is common or actually... even uncommon, I suggest going to a breeder to get better prices(and far healthier snakes that you know will actually take f/t) than a crummy pet store where many are wildcaught/unhealthy/wont eat etc...

Post a add on craigslist looking for affordable used tank that does not need to hold water. I bought a 50 gallon for 50 dollars (still holds water even) it is pretty simple to get a nice set up that way. Many sell 90 gal for 50-100 dollars... you should easily find second hand tanks priced around $1/Gal.

Plastic tubs IMO are just for people who breed as they look not overly attractive and unless you buy the expensive heat tape they can melt with heat pads as sometimes the heat pads have been known to pump temps a bit too high. Just my opinion but doesn't have to cost you a arm and a leg
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:49 PM

i never haved a snake but for crested geckos i have used a large plastik bin from ikea and just cutted out the middle of the lid(leaving like 5cm around the outside) and putted mesh from an old skreen on the inside of the lid with hotglue. that way there is ventalaton but still keeps the humidity in. and its harder to see the gecko inside, but its sooo much less expenssive than a glass tank and less heavy to move so really i think its a good idea.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Crested Geckos like tall glass terrariums to climb so you might want to consider that
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 02:12 PM

it is pritty tall, like 56cmx60cm so its as tall as wide so he hhave horozontal and verticle spase. just verticle is better than just horozontal since they are arborial, but i think that if you can have both that is the best. and i dont think that plastik make any diffrence than glass because they can still stick to it to climb.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Part of the Pack

Bins are an excellent way to house many kinds of snake, especially if you are housing a high humidity snake. Punching holes in it is easy with a drill or with a poker heated on your stove. Punch a few, see if it holds temp/humidity at the right level, and punch more if needed. If you get a big bin, make sure to weight the edges in the middle with books, because snakes ARE escape artists. Even if the bin lid latches on both ends, you'll need to weigh down the center.

It does depend on how big of a snake you're thinking. With most boas, a bin is just fine housing for up to a year or year and a half. After that, large custom housing is necessary.

For heating, flexwatt and a dimmer switch are available for extremely affordable prices from thebeanfarm.com. I have heard you are supposed to attach flex watt to the inside of the bin and cover it with bedding or cloth that the snake cannot scoot under to directly sit on the flexwatt. With a glass tank, you could affix it directly to the underside.

good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 06:22 AM

RUBs are really good for keeping snakes in. They come in all sorts of sizes and are cheap to buy. But I would look for cheap used vivs first. As they are always more attractive to see and you can observe the snake much better.

Tags
plastic tub vivarium