Python handler bitten, dragged into cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Python handler bitten, dragged into cage

Python handler bitten, dragged into cage
Tuesday Jan 2 20:29 AEDT

A 4.3-metre python bit its handler and tried to drag her into its cage during a show at a US aquarium, and would not release the woman until a police officer zapped the reptile with a stun gun.

Alison Cobianchi, 18, was taking Chloe, a Burmese python, out of her cage for the daily snake presentation on Saturday at the Tarpon Springs Aquarium in Florida when the snake wrapped itself around her arm and waist.

Visitors and aquarium employees kept the non-venomous snake from pulling Cobianchi into the cage, but could not make it release its grip.

Police were called to help. "We either had to Taser it or we would have had to kill it," police Sergeant Allen MacKenzie said.

Cobianchi suffered puncture wounds on her wrist.

"It was definitely the most scary and painful thing that has ever happened to me," she said. "I knew I wasn't going to die, but I was worried I wouldn't get my hand back."

The snake was not seriously hurt by the stun gun.

Aquarium owner Scott Conger said Chloe bit him once while he was feeding her, but Cobianchi is the first employee seriously injured. He said the snake show was cancelled indefinitely.

"She was my favourite animal that we had," Cobianchi said of Chloe. "Not anymore."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=174804

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Herp Nerd

I'm rather stunned that the employees were not trained appropriately for such a situation. It happens... and as soon as you get the police involved, it turns into a hyped up media circus.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 03:24 PM

I know they should have been properly trained. 99% of snake bites you see on the news are the keepers fault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I do not want to sound like a broken record (vial) but people under estimate these animals and things can change from good too bad very quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Title Thief Victim

one time at the state fair I was holding a yellow snake..about 6ft i think.. and the next day the same snake bit some boy and injurierd him

Carissasaurus Rex

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakes Inc
I do not want to sound like a broken record (vial) but people under estimate these animals and things can change from good too bad very quickly.

I saw this and laughed. I know people know what they're doing, but I laughed because it's one of those, "What do you think WAS going to happen?"

It's like car wrecks...the more you drive the more likely you are to get into a car wreck. My brother has worked at auto dealerships for the past 10 years...he says most of the lot attendants have been in wrecks..yea they're minor, but they're driving all the time so they're more likely to get into one.

Yea I laughed, I didn't laugh because it was funny, I guess it was the situation and how hyped up it was. I feel sorry for the chick, but like I said, she handles the snakes everyday, there is a great chance she is going to get bitten.

*Missy*
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Part of the Pack

I handle a ball python weekly, and even though he has bit me (it was my fault I will admit) I still do not dislike him or blame him. Animals are wild no matter what you do to train them, and you always have to be prepared for something to happen. Heck, even household dogs attack people when they were trained to be the sweetest pets ever! You cannot take the wild out of them. And maybe the snake was just having a bad day! Or hungry for something other than the usual. lol. At the zoo we always watch the animals for a min before entering, because somedays they are not in the mood to be handled or have us in the exhibits with them. You just have to know the animals you work with. Heck, we go in with wolverines! haha =)
Anyways, point is, she shouldnt dislike the snake because of this, and they should halfway expect things to happen.
-Nikki
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:49 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree...it should of been expected and they should of been more trained for a situation like this.
If it happened to me,I would not blame the animal either.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I agree...it should of been expected and they should of been more trained for a situation like this.
If it happened to me,I would not blame the animal either.

I don't mean to hijack but Lisa how did you get so many posts....LOL

*Missy*
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:00 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
I don't mean to hijack but Lisa how did you get so many posts....LOL
LOL! Well I am kinda addicted to this forum and come here AT LEAST once a day...sometimes more if I have free time.I need to go to PT rehab... But also I post in every part of the forum,when I see threads that interest me...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 02:36 PM

Eeek. Why I dont like big snakes... perfectly explained
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

It does not matter to me if the snake is big small, venomous or not. The animal will never make a good politician or even a bad murderer. These animals have no pride or jealously issues but only work on pure instinct.
I know what to expect from the most venomous snake but when it comes to a pretty young lady sky`s are the limits.
My choice of danger is an easy one.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Will It Ever Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakes Inc

ditto

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
ball python