Shedding trouble with Milksnake - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Shedding trouble with Milksnake

I aquired my milksnake four days ago and it had just started to shed and it is still shedding today. The humidity inside the cage is 55% and the temperature is 85 at the warm end and 78 at the cool The water dish i have provided is plenty large enough for it to get into it and ive been misting the cage every afternoon. Is there anything im doing wrong or should i do something else any advice would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:43 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Shedding trouble can be caused by he snake having mites. Do you think that is possible? Usually if they have mites they spend a lot of time in the water bowl bathing and the don't really like to eat much either.

I think you are fine though. If it has only been 4 days, snakes sometimes take up to a week or week and a half to shed the skin. If the shedding is only coming off in pieces then you can try to wrap the snake in a towel and try to massage the skin off. For now I would leave it, you seen alright.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you can dampen a paper towel put it in a pillow case put the pillow case knotted with snake inside back into the cage.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:52 AM
Hello Earthling

A humid hide is benificial to snakes. Any small enclosure hide or container (with an opening) can be converted by placing moist paper towel or moss.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with canadiancritter, a humid hide would definitely help. While you shouldn't worry too much just yet (sometimes a snake's first shed doesn't go as well), make sure that pieces aren't getting stuck. Did he get the eye caps off?

My ball python had a couple pieces stuck after her first shed. I put a damp towel in her tank and she used it to rub off the remaining pieces. So that's another option.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Yes he did get the Eye caps off. Im also raising the humidity of his cage by misting more often.

Tags
shedding, snake