Photos! Some new pics of Rita and Lila - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Some new pics of Rita and Lila

So I was bored and decided to grab some pics of 2 of my baby girls since they were being cute.

They are both Columbian Red Tail Boas.

Rita is Kahl Albino het Stripe & is 2 years old and a little over 5 1/2 feet long. Rita is kept in a 8ft x 3ft x 2 ft cage.

Lila is het Albino & a year old at almost 4 feet long. Lila is kept in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft cage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Wow they are huge! Pretty colors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Yea they are getting big. And they are just my babies...lol. They will be around 8-10ft when they are full grown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Hello Earthling

WOW!! Gorgeous!! I wish I had the room for a big snake.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Here's some pics from tonight of Rita and Dexter. They're my breeding pair. Gonna breed them next year if Rita is big enough to breed. (She should be by then)

Rita:

Dexter:

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Hello Earthling

Again great looking snakes, and great tongue shots

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Rita loves to come right up to me and sniff me, she thinks everything is food. And she is less than pleasant when she is hungry (which is always haha). I was surprised that she was being friendly that night, she is usually very aggressive.

Dexter is really nice though, he ALWAYS comes out of his house when he hears someone near the cage. And he comes out and shows off in his water, haha, he's so silly. He has the weirdest personality out of all my snakes.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

you know, this is a very retarded comment, but i was thinking that I saw a snake like Rita somewhere before and couldn't remember till now...
isn't it the same kind of snake britney spears had on her for a performance?

haha, I thought it was funny that came to my mind!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

That was actually a young Albino Burmese python. Mine are Red Tail Boas. Burmese Pythons can get up to like 18 ft, while mine will only get around 11ft at the most.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

wow 18feet is impressive!!
Then the albino burmese and ur red tailed boa both have beautiful color, i really like it!

I had a corn snake breeder tell me about all the colors of the corn snakes and how they are obtained through breeding, some of them you have to breed 2 together, and then breed the optained babies to get a certain color! (the blizzars I think? i can't remember)
I find it fascinating that albinos are usually white, but that in snakes there is still a lot of color, and that light yellow: gorgeous!

now I have to do a little research to be able to tell boas and burmese apart! haha
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Genetics get confusing. lol. But I got these 2 snakes because the babies they will make are so pretty. When I breed Rita and Dexter they could make the coloring called Sunglow. Which is one of my favorite boa colors. I'll probably keep an albino baby and a sunglow if they have one. I'm so excited to try breeding them next year.

Once you look at a pic of a burmese python, and a Red Tail boa next to each other, its really easy to tell them apart. Red Tail boas are called that for a reason, they have red saddles on their tails. Sometimes they are other colors if they are albino or something like that. Ritas are orange, you can see them in one of the first pics.

Here's an Albino Burmese Python:

And here's an Albino Red Tail Boa:
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

OOh thank you, that does make it very clear, also their marking are pretty different overall when you look at both next to each other!

I looked up sunglows, pretty too!
Boas have loads of babies, no? what are you going to do with all those babies?! haha baby rats, baby snakes... your house is full of babies! Lucky you
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Since it will be Rita's first litter and she isn't full grown, she will probably only have around 10 babies. Boas can have between 2-40 babies. And they give birth to live babies, so no incubating eggs, which is neat. I already have 6 people in my town that want to buy a baby boa from me, so hopefully I can find homes for them. Otherwise I will keep them. Baby boas can be kept in racks, which save space and money. But once they get big I would need to buy more large cages. The cages aren't that expensive. The 8ft cages that we got for them was 750$ each premade with heat tape on the bottom and ready to be used. 6ft cages cost around 500$. But they don't even need a cage that large until theyre pretty big. My snakes are just spoiled right now with their huge cages lol.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

haha wow!
That's great you already have people lined up!
That must be so cool if you get to see her have live babies!
and those are expensive cages, wow!
A spoiled snake is a happy snake, no? so it all works out
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Wow Dexter looks much smaller than Rita, is that normal? I can't wait for pics of the little ones!!!!!!!!!!! How cool! Will you sell them?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie