Thamnophis feeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Thamnophis feeding

So I was wondering if it would be okay to feed a Thamnophis with live skrimp?

I really want some shrimp (CRS and so on), and I really want some ribbon snakes (different species) at some point.
I was thinking it would be fun to breed a little guppies, also because they are nice to look at.
But what about shrimp?
Would it be okay to feed a snake with them?

I might be a bit weird, but I prefer to be able to breed the food my animals need, if they need meat

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Hello Earthling

I am going to say that shrimp would not be an acceptable food choice.

Guppies could work, but you'll have to make sure that you don't add anything to the water (medication etc...). NEVER FEED GOLDFISH

You can also feed crickets and mice.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

why not shrimp?

I would never use insects or mice for thamnophis.
The species I'm interested in mainly live of off fish and amphibians in the wild.

Oh yeah, and they are going to get earthworms >_<

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Hello Earthling

Shrimp have a hard exoskeleton and can have sharp bits that could harm the snake.

Stick to fish and worms. Amphibians should not be used as food because of possible parasites that they may carry.

Also shrimp aren't the easiest to breed and you'll be spending alot on shrimp.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Do they ever eat shrimp in the wild? I don't think they do but I could be wrong since they eat a variety of food.

If they do eat shrimp, I would just give it a try and see what happens. Worst case scenario it doesn't eat the shrimp.

Why not just feed a variety of fish (guppies are great and you could also raise minnows) and earthworms? Perhaps you could even breed some green treefrogs, too? Just test them for parasites before breeding .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

A fish and worm diet is quite fine with me.
I'm just crazy about shrimp, and really want some >_<
And if they could be used, then why not

Canadian:
About the whole breeding thing:
It is not true that breeding is a problem, as long as you pick animals that only need one type of water.
My plan was to get Yellow Shrimp (CRS yellow form - Neocaridina heteropoda var. Yellow), Amano (this one would be a problem), Blue Tiger (Caridina cf. cantonensis) and either CRS or RCS.
So the only problem shrimp would be the amano...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Interesting, I haven't ever kept that species. Let me know how the breeding goes if you try it! I've only kept ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp.

By the way, your snake might actually take rodent pinkies. I'm not saying to just feed those but it might be a good once in a while thing to make sure he gets all the proper nutrition . I know a lot of people who feed pinkies to their garter snakes (our name for Thamnophis here) and many of those snakes are actually healthier than ones just fed insects/fish. People think they never eat rodents in the wild but they actually do when given the chance. Although it also depends on the species (which species are you getting?).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

I'm not that glad about feeding pinkies. They mainly contain fat, and I don't belive this is good.
I'de rather feed melarworms, because those you can choose to give some nice nutriens before you use them as feed. This isen't an obtion with pinkies.

It's been quite a while since I last had any reptiles, and when me and my x broke up, he got to keep the reptiles... He didn't eaven ask me if I wanted to buy them when he sold them off, and I bought him one of the lizards :S

But the thing I was trying to say with this was, that we did use pinkies as special treats once in a while. I just prefer not to use them
If I had to feed rodents, I would get some pygmy mice, and use the grown or jumpers.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's true that you don't usually gutload pinkies but believe it or not, rodents are a complete meal for a snake. Since they swallow them whole, they get plenty of nutrients . So they're actually healthier than, say, mealworms. Anyways, you don't even have to just feed pinkies. Small fuzzies would probably be fine, as would the pygmy mice. The key with keeping garters and ribbons, though, is really just to feed a varied diet anyways . So ideally you'd be feeding fish, insects, worms, and the occasional mouse.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Mealworms have been proven to be a very good feed, and animals like leopard geckos can live only on these (big german breeders have done som reserch).

I'm not saying that rodents are bad. I'm saying that pinkies are bad, and mainly contain fat.
That's why I would prefer to use jumpers or grown pygmy mice instead of pinkies from fancy mice, if I ever had to use them.
But I'm really bad at killing anything other than invertebrates, and I do not want to feed my animals something I haven't been breeding myself

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Hello Earthling

Actually I think you are think of super worms that contain less cinchi (s), which is the hard exoskeleton.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Nope, thinking about mealies

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Then feed fuzzies and hoppers, I'm not saying you should just feed pinkies. I don't feed pinkies to any of my own reptiles.

But while mealworms can be a decent food item for geckos (and remember, when you're feeding them to geckos you have to dust them with vitamin powders--they aren't naturally nutritious), they aren't always the best for snakes. Honestly, I've also had trouble just getting garters to eat them! They really prefer the more soft-bodied creatures like earthworms, fish, and rodents.

If you don't like the idea of killing rodents, you could always ask a pet store to kill them for you. I don't have any other advice as far as that goes, though. I feed frozen and get my rodents from a local breeder (like you, I want to know where my rodents are coming from). It's worked out well so far .

~Stephanie

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Hello Earthling

I did a search for "Garter Snake Feeding" (as Stephanie said we call them garter snake) and none said anything about shrimp. But they talked about mice and fish aswell as slugs, earth worms and frogs (which are something you would have to breed yourself to ensure there are no parasites)

http://www.gartersnake.co.uk/maintenance.htm#Feeding
This site also has a recipe to make food.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:57 AM

Chinchi you may want to post on reptile forums UK. I know you're not from the UK but there are a lot of experienced garter snake keepers. Not that I think the advice here is bad (sorry if it sounds that way) but it's always better to get advice from keepers as they have the practical experience. JMO

Tags
feeding, shrimp, snake