Trouble Shedding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Trouble Shedding

I need some help, My Ball Python is having some trouble shedding, and I've been searching the internet trying to find out why, here's what I've come up with

Unclean Tank
Not humid enough
Not eating right

Her tank is very clean, She's eating fine, I've been misting her hiding spots, and letting her swim. Nothing seems to work. Can someone help me?

"I Knew It Wasn't Berkowitz!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 08:04 AM

Im sorry about your snake. How do you know that she is having trouble? I don't know much about them, so I am curious.

Hopefully someone who knows will be around soon. Where is Bob? I haven't seen him lately.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Herp Nerd

It's pretty easy to tell. Snakes should shed entirely in one single piece. If they do not, they're having trouble.

General rule is to increase the humidity in the entire enclosure, not just the hides. Make sure she always has fresh water, some snakes won't drink water that has stagnated in a dish for a few days. When you notice her go into "blue" - those first few days before shedding when her eyes milk over, mist the cage more heavily, and try soaking her in tepid water for 10-15 minutes a day. Double check the temperature of the area over the heating pad, make sure it's not getting too hot.

There is a fine line between humid and wet though, and sometimes it can be hard keeping the humidity up without making the cage actually damp. You don't want her to be sitting in actual wetness for a long period of time, that can lead to scale rot. This time of year, when most people are running their home heaters, the humidity is quickly sucked right out of the air. The room she is in may benefit from a humidifier.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.

Last edited by Ravnos; 01-22-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
It's pretty easy to tell. Snakes should shed entirely in one single piece. If they do not, they're having trouble.
Ha, I guess it is pretty easy!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 10:16 AM

my snake went through that for a while. he is a corn snake. I didn't do anything about it and it worked itself out. Sometimes they just need time. When the shed wouldn't get off all the way I would pick him up and rub all the skin off my self. He seemed to enjoy it. he hasn't had that problem in years though so it was just somthing he went through for a few sheds. I wouldn't get too stressed out if I were you and if he will let you, rub of the extra skin for him that didn't come off
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebri123
When the shed wouldn't get off all the way I would pick him up and rub all the skin off my self. He seemed to enjoy it.
I'm nervous to rub it off incase some of it is still attached to healthy skin, and I dont want to hurt her.
And I guess a humidifier would be a good idea, because I also have a Leopard gecko in the same room.
Thanks for the tips.

"I Knew It Wasn't Berkowitz!!!!"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

try rubbing mineral oil on it a few times a day, thats what is recomended for iguana sheds that are difficult, also if you give it a bath and then use a towel to dry it off it should just peal the ready skin off

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 09:01 PM

Try giving him a humidity hide.a clear plastic container with a hold cut into it,with spaghnum moss(bake it first before moistening it to make sure theres nothing in it) or moist paper towel. You can also as soon as he clears up from being blue, mist the whole cage down and loosely cover the tank with cut up plastic bag, then once he sheds take that off and dry the tank off.

I might suggest getting a Fecal float done by your vet,since another reason for bad sheds is internal parasites. You will need to have some done over 3 week period to be 100% sure he has them because one fecal float isnt always accurate.

Tags
ball python, corn snake, heating pad, leopard gecko