Why is she doing that? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Why is she doing that?

So ive been helping my friend take care of his new snake, shes a columbian rainbow boa, and since we fed her wednesday she has been puffing out her throat every so often and once n a wile she opens her mouth like hes yawning. last night she i was holding her and she was gripping much harder then normal as well. we thought maybe she was just a little dehydrated so we put her temporary tank and her in the bathroom with the shower going so it was nice and humid and misty incase that was it, she did stop puffing out her throat for the last hour i was there after but i was wondering if its normal for them to do that after they eat and after they eat or something.

!!My Pets!!
Chinchillas: Murry and Loki
Cat: Kessie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My experience is with ball pythons and sand boas but I've found that to be normal. Sometimes after eating a big meal they "yawn" to put their jaw back in place. What's the humidity in her enclosure, though? If you think she's dehydrated that needs to be fixed asap.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

he hasnt bought a humidity gauge yet but were fixing that tomorrow. thank you btw i think thats why shes been yawning =o she had a **** of a time eating hte larger of her fuzzys

!!My Pets!!
Chinchillas: Murry and Loki
Cat: Kessie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
My experience is with ball pythons and sand boas but I've found that to be normal. Sometimes after eating a big meal they "yawn" to put their jaw back in place.
Sasami got it on the dot, my friends have some pretty neat shots of their snakes putting their Jaws back into place. A lot of times the throat blowing up like that is a sign of a respiratory infection. It's caused when the air doesn't lass through the nostrils well so when they breathe the throat swells up.

I have not owned a rainbow boa before but all breeds are capable of getting respiratory infections, another sign you can look for is open mouth breathing and sometimes they will hold their heads up in their cage or else rest it facing upwards in a corner so they don't have to have their muscles flexed for so long. Keep us updated on how your friends snake does =)

My Kids:6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

Tags
acting odd, snake, throat