Zanzibar ENJOYS Being Held - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Zanzibar ENJOYS Being Held

I thought that Ball Pythons would just PUT UP with being held, but when I was holding her yesterday she actually liked being held. Sometimes she is active when I'm holding her, and sometimes she sleeps, but both times; she enjoys being held.
Does that happen with other peoples Ball Pythons?

"I Knew It Wasn't Berkowitz!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:34 PM

I don't know much about snakes. I was just wondering, how can you tell that she likes being held? Happy for you that she does though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Curmudgeon

I'm also curious about how you know she likes it. I could see a snake moving towards a warm area (your hands) from a colder area. However, I don't know that snakes ever really enjoy anything other than food when hungry, water when thirsty and warmth when cool.
JMO

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, I'm not "sure" she likes it, but when I put my hand in her tank she come's right over to me, and starts sliding up my arm. When I try to put her back in her tank after I've held her for a while she looks around in the tank, and slides right back up on my arm. She seem's content when I hold her.

"I Knew It Wasn't Berkowitz!!!!"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awwwwww

(know NOTHING about reptiles.....)

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 04:50 PM

Yes, I can tell that my boa, likes for me to hold her too. B.C. is my (25 year old)" baby". She hasn't been for awhile, but I used to take her to schools for show & tell quite often. She loved the attention, & the kids loved her. My husband is sceptical about my being able to tell she likes it. No matter who is holding her if I am there, she wants ME to take her. The only exception to that fact, happened several years ago when I had taken her to school. I was holding her as the kids walked by single file to pet her, or not haha. For some reason, when this one little girl came by, B.C. took a shine to her. Until then she never went willingly to anyone but me. I told the girl she should feel very privileged.
Even a snake has feelings.
When I bought B.C., she picked me. Out of the tank of several babies, she was the one who crawled up my arm. It was love at first sight. We were inseperably. She went everywhere with me. If I went somewhere where I didn't want her to surprise anyone, by crawling out of my purse, I would put her in a Crown Royal bag & tie it, but alot of the time, she just stayed in there on her own.
Funny story, once when we returned home, I forgot to latch her cage. The next day when I was getting ready for work I discovered her cage-mate was missing. I freaked out! Do you have any idea how many hiding places there are in a house, for a snake? Trust me, we have had to totally dis-member an entire couch once to get one out. Anyway, as I started to leave the house, I picked up my purse, & it felt too heavy. That other snake must have decided it was his turn to go, because it had climbed out of the cage, down a piece or furniture, through the hall,into the other room, up another piece of furniture, & into my purse... Do snakes get jealous?
After I got My first boa, I read where they can live up to 40 years in captivity. I used to joke about me holding her while sitting in my rocking chair, as an old woman. Now I'm a grandmother, & she is still with us.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 04:52 PM

my ball Buddy loved to be held and be around your neck!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Part of the Pack

I take care of the Ball Python at the Alaska Zoo. And when I put him back into his exhibit after feeding/handling/presentations or whatever, he tries to come right back out onto my arm. He also tries to escape whenever he can. So maybe he just wants to get out, who knows! But I say he likes me =) He also seems to recognize me as the person who feeds him, so maybe he just wants some mice. But he doesnt seem to mind being held, he likes to wrap himself around me and hook his tail into my belt loop to hold on. I am planning on getting a ball python once I move out, I absolutely LOVE working with him, definitely my favorite animal at the zoo... well.. after the porcupines =)
From the pictures, looks like you have a beautiful snake! Good luck! =)
-Nikki
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry to burst the bubble here but no snake likes to be held or handled. All snakes stress out to some degree when being interfered with.
Only the handler/owner gets satisfaction from this one sided interaction.
Most inexperienced snake owners do not realize that these animals survive on instinct only and have no perception of social behavior.

Tags
ball python