Agama lizard - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Agama lizard

I have a agama lizard in a 40 gallon tank. I was wondering if I would be able to put a bearded dragon in there with him or another agama. The thing is after I got the agama I haven't seen another one around. So could I put a bearded dragon in the same tank or another type of lizard. Or if I find another agama could I put them in the same cage any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Hello Earthling

No you would not be able to house a bearded dragon in with the agama. This brings up a whole issue about housing multiple species which is not recommended.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I wouldn't mix species. Even if they both have similar requirements, you'll be stressing them out (and it's always possible that the new one will pass a disease to your current lizard).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:14 PM

never a good idea to mix species.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:40 PM
is a little "special"

Nope, you definatly shouldnt do it. Im not sure about the social requirements of an agama, but its not even reccomended to house 2 bearded dragons together. 99% of reptiles are not social, and dont need a "friend" to stay happy. Beardies housed together have acually killed eachother, and Ive seen WAY too many nips and missing limbs to even consider housing my beardie with anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Curmudgeon

We often mixed species at the zoo, and that (in and of itself) is not a horribly bad thing to do.

However, a 40 is a good size tank for one lizard. I don't think it's a good idea to mix species unless you have a whole lot of room for them to move around, with multiple structures for them to hide on and claim as their own.

In smaller more restricted areas, you can be asking for trouble just having multiples of the same species, let alone multiples of different species. JMO YMMV.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for all the info. I am I guess what you would call a some what of new to owening lizards. My first lizard was a Savanah moniter wich my friend gave to me after he got to big. I researched a lot about them and learned a lot. Sadely he died the vet said it was just old age he was about 5 in a half foot long and I had him for a long time. Then I decided to get another lizard and picked the agama witch I love. So about the bearded dragons how big of a cage would I need I have a old tank that's empty and would like to get a bearded dragon. The measurments are 1 foot wide 2 in a half feet long and a foot tall. Is that to small or will it be ok. And thanks for all the info.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 AM

Savanahs are great! I used to have one,and a nile monitor.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 04:05 PM
is a little "special"

Lucky! I would LOVE a Savanah Monitor! <3
Bearded Dragons need a BARE MINIMUM space of a 40 gallon breeder, wich is 36X18X18. The tank you have is a 20 gal long, and that will only house a juvie up to 15 inches. So you could use that tank for about 6 months, depending on how fast your beardie would grow.
If you need any more info on beardie care, feel free to PM me!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the info. So what would be a good lizard to put in that 20 gallon tank.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

um an anole, or a gecko.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Curmudgeon

Try reading up on Leopard Geckos. It's another relatively easy keeper, similar to the Bearded Dragon.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Hello Earthling

If you turn the tank on its side you could house a crested or gargoyle gecko.

Tags
agama lizard