Anoles...looking for opinions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Anoles...looking for opinions

Would an anole be a good "beginner" lizard for someone looking into keeping reptiles for the first time? Any opinions? I kind of like the sleek little guys. Thanks. <-Steve->
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Loopy AppleNose

I definitely think so. Of course, I may be biased because one of my first reptile pets was an anole

However, what I probably didn't realize back then and what many don't realize now is that they do require a fair amount of equipment as most all reptiles do. But I'm sure you know this.

Anyway, a few things I learned from my experience:

- If you plan on keeping a group, only one male is recommended (they can def. become territorial)
- Pretty high humidity is generally beneficial (perhaps 70%, though I don't remember exactly what I used to do)
- It's probably a good idea to start raising crickets, mealworms, or whatever else you may plan to feed them

However, I'm sure there are more recent anole owners who can offer a lot more help than I can. I absolutely think they make good introductory reptile pets, though.

Good luck and have fun

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently reading: Light in August by William Faulkner
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks hermitman. Great tips - especially firing up the ol' cricket farm. That should keep the food bill reasonable. And I guess it would go with my basement "decor", which at the moment consists of an aquarium (without water ) containing dozens of monarch caterpillars, six swallowtail chrysalises, a click beetle of some sort, a vermi-compost veggie-scrap bin, and an ever-growing collection of fascinating insect specimens. I'm not sure if I have the time or resources to jump in to the reptile game at the moment, but I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind. They were very helpful. Hope your weather gets better down there in D/FW. <-Steve->
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 10:00 PM
RAT ADDICT

They are often sold as "beginner" reptiles.They do stress out easily and need bigger spaces then the pet stores tell you.

Here are some sites with more info.Good luck.I love anoles and want some in the future sometime.

Exotic Pets, Reptiles - Lizards - Articles
Green Anole

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 10:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Green Anoles as Pets - Introduction

* Lisa *

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 10:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have talked to some people I know who keep reptiles too and they say they are not really a beginner reptile where they stress out so much!

* Lisa *

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Curmudgeon

I would not consider them a good beginner reptile. They are pretty fragile if the environment isn't just right. When it is right, they do very well, but part of being a beginner is learning how to maintain heat and humidity. It's not always that easy.

I'd recommend a Leopard Gecko or a Bearded Dragon. ...not hatchlings though. They are both bigger, more handleable and easier to maintain.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 09:33 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have two leopard geckos.They are good first reptiles and are pretty easy to look after.They don't mind handling (most of them anyway).And well they are quite hardy too.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the great information. I very much appreciate it. <-Steve->
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I also think that crested geckos, mali uromastyx, and corn snakes are pretty simple, crested probably being the easiest.

I've always thought anoles are sorta boring. They hide and dart around and stress out like chameleons so you can't handle or interact with them. And unlike chameleons, they're really not interesting looking enough to make up for it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

All good points, luvboyrats. And you're right, those chameleon color-shifts and independent eye movements make them soooo cool to watch! Thanks for your input. Have a good week down there in Tennessee. It's such a pretty state. <-Steve->

Tags
bearded dragon, corn snake, corn snakes, crested gecko, exotic pets, leopard gecko, pet store, pet stores