Bad news for Wink... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Unhappy Bad news for Wink...

Well, the vet is like 99% sure his pancreus/liver are failing him. He hasnt been wanting to eat at all the last 2 weeks or so, and I called to vet to see if I could do anything for him before I left on vacation. He put the pieces together, and hes pretty positive that Winks not going to make it. The only way I would know for sure whats going on is bloodwork, but its going to be over $80 for it. The vet said that if he were in my place, he wouldnt even do the blood work since theres nothing I can do anyway.

So he never actually had parasites to begin with, and its making more sense now... Why he tested negative for them, why the Panacur didnt work, why he wont gain weight, why he isnt digesting his food, ect...

So he is pretty much going to starve to death even if he does eat, and Ill eventually need to have him put down. He isnt in pain, and he is happy right now, so Im not necessarily in a rush.

I found all this out yesterday, and it was the day that Lizzie died a year ago... March 1st. So he is basically going to die the same way.

I feel horrible... He came so far, and I thought we were out of the woods a long time ago! But I guess not. So I just have to keep force feeding him, and keep him as comfortable as possible. Im not sure how long he has left.
I dont think I could survive being beardie-less, so I will probably adopt another one...

Ugh, I have to go now. I feel like crying again, and talking about i ttoo much is making me feel nausios....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh my god, I'm so sorry! Is this due to where you got him from? And are you sure that the vet is correct on saying nothing can be done?
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww im so sorry to read this.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so very sorry hun.
You are such a great mother to him and you gave him the best chance at life!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks
Its probably genetic or something he was born with, but Im not sure cause I didnt ask. Im going to see if I can bring him in to weigh him tomarrow, and Ill ask more questions then. I was too upset to talk more yesterday...

He cant prescribe me anything unless I do the blood test. If he gives me the meds, and it turns out that something else is actually wrong with him, it would just make things worse. Im going to talk to him tomarrow... My mom talked to him, so Im getting alot of the info second hand.
But he said that he doesnt think there is anything I can do except keep him comfy. Wink is still his happy, silly little self... Just not hungary. He still loves his baby food though. Im mixing his calcium in with that right now so he doesnt get MBD. He actually did eat 2 super worms today, but that was the first time he ate (on his own) in a few days.

Just trying to remember everything happens for a reason right now. Even if he wont be around much longer, Im still really thankful I got to know him! There are SO many beardies that need help out there, so maybe he has bigger plans.
I took some really good pics of him the other day, so maybe Ill fix those up and post them when Im feeling up to it.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Hello Earthling

So sorry to here that Wink isn't doing so well. Its always hard to know you are going to lose a pet you worked so hard to save, but you did a good job.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Herp Nerd

Sorry to hear. Rescuing animals can certainly be frustrating sometimes.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Betta Bomb

Aww, well rest assured you gave Wink a happy home. There are so many stupids out there and your a True Angel to the lil devils and they eternally thank you for all you do for them HUGS
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Poor Wink. He came into your life so suddenly and made you fall in love with beardies! He is so awesome and you are wonderful to have rescued him. You gave him a chance when many others would have given up. I loved seeing his pics and reading his updates.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Oh no I'm so sorry. I had a similar experience with a rescue iguana before and I know it's heart breaking.

Wink is so lucky to have found such a caring home. Make the most of the time you have with him, and if it isn't long (it's never long enough even when they live out their full lifespans) then at least you know that he got to live out his life in comfort with good care and people who loved him.

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hey, maybe do you think... could you take him with you to Florida? I don't know how you're getting there - if it's on a plane then that might be more difficult, but if you guys are driving, why not bring him with you? Give him the taste of a vacation like that.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Well, I actually did get some good news from the vet
He said that Wink looked ALOT better than he thought he would, so I shouldnt give up hope yet. I guess he was expecting him to look really skinny and sick from the symptoms I was describing, and he said he actually looked pretty good. He gained weight since last time too.

So Im going to keep giving him babyfood squash, and see if his appetite changes when the season does. He said Wink looked dehydrated even though I soak him regularly, and he mentioned something about kidney issues. So he probably does have something, but I dont know exactly what or how severe it is.

So Im feeling ALOT better today. I guess its going to be a wait-and-see kind of thing. Keep him in your thoughts!

Edit: Flickeringhope~ You just beat me! I am flying, and from what I hear it costs $100 to bring them with, and they have to ride with the cargo. So IMO its not worth it. If I was driving, Id take him without a second thought!

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

wow, my condolences. Whatever it is, hopefully he can pull out of it. He's a tough little guy!
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:25 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm so glad to hear he's doing a bit better. Good luck with him, I hope he pulls through.

As for taking him on the plane, the rules depend on the airline. It was $80 one way to take my dog (they let small animals stay with you on the plane as long as the carrier fits under the seat in front of you...so most airlines wouldn't make him ride with the cargo). But I don't think it'd be worth it, the stress wouldn't be good for him.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe you could have the vets watch him? I thought you mentioned that one of the techs would? I don't remember if you said that was too expensive or what, but they would probably be able to handle things well if something went wrong and would probably already have experience with force feeding and such.

How long are you going on vacation for?

I'm glad to hear that Wink is doing better than you thought!

Tags
bearded dragon