Beardie Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 02:57 PM
Akasha

Question Beadie Question

I was wondering what is the best kind of substrate for a beardie? I really don't want to pay $17 a bag for ZooMed Repti Sand. Is there anything cheep than can be used where theres no risk of empaction?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 03:01 PM

I reccommend Calci-sand by T-Rex. It costs around $9-$15 a bag. There are a variety of colors. It is made of a calcium substance and is digestible. Use with only adult Beardies though. Their digestive tracts are more advanced.

If you don't want to go that route, you can use green carpet which is sold in most reptile sections in pet stores. I would buy two. One to put in the cage and one to rotate in when you need to clean the previous one.

I prefer the Calci-sand because it is easier to clean up Beardie messes and because it makes for a more realistic environment. I also do not chnage the sand for a year since I am able to scoop out the messes. However, green carpet works well and is probably less expensive.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 03:07 PM
Akasha

the beardies can't like over dose on calcium? the tank i have is about 6 feet long 2 feet wide and 2.5 feet high. i may split the tank in half. but thats still a lot of sand i need :arrow: (hehe! NEW SMILIES!) but if the calci sand is ok i know where i can get it at a good price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 03:17 PM

I have never heard of a Beardie overdosing on calcium. They have a very high calcium/blood ratio. If they do not have enough calcium in their diets, they will start to take calcium from their bones making them weak. My advice and most of what I have read has advised that the more calcium the better.

Your cage sounds like it is a great size. I wouldn't split it in half. Beardies need a lot of roaming space. Mine loves his hammock(sp?) and basking log.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 03:18 PM
Akasha

ok that works =) if the size is fine i won't bother spliting it. yay heh maybe i can take scorch's beardie after all. Toirtis was telling me he knows of a place where he can get me calci sand in bulk =) so like $15-20 a big big bag

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 03:35 PM

Wow, those are good prices. Can you tell me where?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 03:44 PM
Akasha

i dunno some where in calgary alberta. he was telling me that he could get some for a good price but i wasn't sure if they could have the calci sand

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 07:26 PM

play sand is safe for adult bearded dragons as well.

make sure youre careful on the type of reptile carpet, or that you watch your guy on it if you use it. I used it for awhile but it seems like the lizards nails get suck in it alot of the time.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 07:28 PM

also

you can also used papertowel even though its not that pretty
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 02:44 PM
Akasha

my aunt used that and ended up spending $600 and 3 month trying to nurse her beardie back to health. he has such serious impaction that he had to be force fed babyfood and mineral oil for 2 months until he went tothe bathroom. i wold never use play sand

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 05:08 PM

u can also use children play sand for toy boxes..just make sure there isnt any chemicals in it

Tags
bearded dragon, bearded dragons, pet store, pet stores