Best food for a gecko? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Best food for a gecko?

What do you think is the best food for a leopard gecko? So far I think that Wax Worms are the best, but what do YOU think is the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 09:05 PM
RAT ADDICT

As a staple,mealies and crickets.Thats what I feed mine.You have to gut load them tho,so they will have nutrition to them!

Waxworms are actually just like "McDonalds" to a leo.They taste good and are fattening and believe it or not,waxworms can spoil your gecko and then he won't want anything else.Not good.They should ONLY be fed as treats.

Superworms,butterworms,pinkies,silkworms...etc,can be fed as treats.I know many people who feed superworms as a staple too.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i fed superworms and superworms only.
but its because he wouldnt eat ANYTHING else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

I feed mealies and supers. Cleo lately have only been wanting the supers, but she will eat the mealies if I hand-feed them... little brat!!!

I used to feed her crickets as part of her staple, but I have had problems keeping them alive since I have been living at home (that problem is called dad... and he just can't resist using insecticide around the house even though he knows it kills my crickets... gah!) So now I just feed mealies and supers. I feed waxworms as a treat, usually when I order, I order a small amount of them (35 is the smallest pack of waxies, and I feed 1 wax on each feed till they are gone.. then... no more wax for months... lol)

I agree with Vanilla Rat... waxworms are too fattie, and lack in other nutrients and shouldn't be fed as part of the staple.

Dimaris

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i though i was the only one who had to hand feed their leo.
not only would he not eat anything but superworms, but i had to hand feed him every single one of them. if i didnt he would let them excape and they would turn into bettles where they would hid in the bedding. superworms take FOREVER to turn it to beatles too

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Yeah, Cleo is a brat. She would eat them from the feeding tongs like she has never eaten in her life, yet, when I put them in her bowl she ignores them. She can eat up to 25 mealies in a feeding too, which is not fun to me after a while... Not that I don't like handfeeding her, but in the possition her tank is, my back hurts after a couple of hand-fed mealies.

Dimaris

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

Crickets or roaches, and the occasional wax worm. Works for me! I'm not much into meal/superworms.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 08:53 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have never had to handfeed my guys, but these past few days they have been ignoring the superworms...so I guess it is time to try handfeeding!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i would switch to something else for a while then. i wouldnt start hand feeding. you might have to do it the rest of your life

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 11:04 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh,they still get their crickets which they eat no problem,it just seems they don't want the worms lately...

* Lisa *

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

ohhh good

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Playful Pup

i do not recomend that u use wax worms as you're main food because thay are very fatty and ur geckos can get hooked on them. i recomend that u feed them crickets or mealworms, i mainly use mealworms because they are less active and they dont smell
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 10:18 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoman26
i do not recomend that u use wax worms as you're main food because thay are very fatty and ur geckos can get hooked on them. i recomend that u feed them crickets or mealworms, i mainly use mealworms because they are less active and they dont smell
Mealies CAN and do smell,just nowhere near as bad as crickets!I bought a tub of mealies just the other day that had an odor,yet the mealies were nice and fat and healthy!

* Lisa *

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I would feed my gecko mealworms, but I heard that they do not digest well because of the shell. Is that true?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Playful Pup

if you're gecko is healthy it should have no problem digetsing it. if u have been feeduing u gecko mainly on wax worms it might be addicted by know...just saying =D

Tags
leopard gecko, vanilla rat