Bird Seed/Substrate? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Bird Seed/Substrate?

Some people choose bird seed to use in their cages as substrate for lizards and other reptiles. It doesn't seem like it would be comfortable to me. Should people be using bird seed as substrate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 04:38 PM
is a little "special"

I know a lot of people use it for uros, but there are a couple problems with it: It gets moldy pretty easily, absorbs moisture in the air, and sprouts easily too. But it is fairly digestable if it is eated in small amounts.

I think it might be OK to use in a digging box or something, but definitely not as a substrate for the whole cage.

I'm not sure about the comfortable-ness of it though, since I've never exactly tried living in it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

No, there is no way to clean it and it will mold. For those reptiles that need a substrate a soil like one is better such as cocobark or soil mix. Most reptiles that need very low humidity don't need loose substrate, those that need humidity need softer substrate that won't mold like birdseed.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The bedding that Petsmart sells for lizards is Zoo Med Excavator Burrowing Clay. I've asked about it before, and people have told me that it isn't any good. It's also expensive. The heat from the bulbs hardens it. Do you recommend Zilla substrate for lizards?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 04:38 AM
Curmudgeon

I like rabbit pellets for a substrate for some animals like Dragons.

It's ingestible, spot cleans well and has a nice odor.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:49 AM
is a little "special"

I have a digging box full of alfalfa pellets for Dudley... He LOVES it, and it makes him smell nice! He tried to eat a pellet once, but he quickly decided that it tasted nasty.
I've heard tha tit gets mouldy rather easily though, so that's the only thinkg you need to watch out for with it.

I really like non-adhesive shelf liner for substrate, and a lot of people use tile for their beardie. Right now, I use non-adhesive linoleum flooring for Dudley.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Curmudgeon

It only gets moldy if you let it get wet and then sit. Seeds will do the same thing.

If you spot clean every day, you won't have mold. I had four very poopy dragons in one large enclosure and never had mold.

It's like good smelling clumping litter.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.