Bought a larger terrarium, new advise please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Bought a larger terrarium, new advise please

Okay so we went and returned the smaller terrarium and purchased a larger one. Thank you very much for all your info. We still went with the Exo-Terra as this is for my husband and he's pretty picky. The new terrarium is 18" x 18" x 24". Much larger than the previous one. We are looking at getting a leopard gecko. Is this tank big enough for one or two? Any advise on any other lizards we could get? What items do we need for inside the terrarium? Any other advise you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT2607_Glass_Terrarium_Filled.jpg (77.6 KB, 6 views)

----------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- Trixie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Hello Earthling

That is an aboreal tank so you will not be able to keep a lepard gecko. One crested gecko or a gargol (sp I to late to spell correctly), possible a day gecko, a couple of anoles. If you interested in frogs you could do tree frogs. What you need for the tank will depend on what you are keeping.

Last edited by canadiancritter; 08-20-2009 at 10:55 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

what's the difference between a crested gecko and a leopard gecko?

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Well the crested geckos live in the arboreal tanks like the one you bought and leopard geckos live in aquariums. Here is a leopard gecko-

Here is a crested gecko-

If you were wanting leopard geckos I would get an aquarium. You could keep brown or green anoles though, a few of those, those are cool little guys. I think it is very smart to have gotten a bigger tank, now you have better variety.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Hello Earthling

Exactly! The tank you bought is meant for aboreal speicies not terrestrial species.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yeah, I did more research, and we're going to go with the crested gecko. What do we need for our terrarium? Any advise on them?

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Hello Earthling

I have a few threads with pictures of my geckos and some information about them.

With crested geckos you can do fake or live plants or a mix of both. You want to make sure you have lots of coverage and that the gecko has places to hide where it will be completely covered to prevent "Floppy Tail Syndrome".

Depending on your climate you might need an under tank heater, but crested gecko can die at temperatures above 82 degrees.

If you plan on using live plants you will need a UV light. If you don't plant on live plants then special lighting is not necessary.

Crested geckos should be fed a premade diet called Crested Gecko Diet which is made by Superfoods by Allen Repashy. This food is a complete diet.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I just wanted to add that you don't always need special lighting for plants. There are plenty of plants out there that can thrive with basic fluorescent lighting . So don't be scared off from live plants just because of the lighting requirements!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Hello Earthling

True I don't have any lighting on mine.. yet but I am sure the plants will do better with lighting

Tags
terrarium