Calcium/Fat Deposits on my Juvenile Gecko? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

Calcium/Fat Deposits on my Juvenile Gecko?

so i was doing my daily self-checkups of my juvenile Leopard Geckos and i noticed sumthing that i'm pretty sure is a calcium or fat deposit
she is estimated as around 5-6months old by now and i'm feeding her and her sister every other day
they live on small mealworms and small Dubia Roaches that i raise in my own colony
well i spoil her (whoops!) and feed her until she stops eating... the reason i was doing this was because they were very skinny when i got them as 2-4month-olds, so i was just letting them eat to their heart's content so they'd gain sum weight... i also dust every insect they eat with Rep-Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene Multivitamins every feeding
well anyway she eats about 25mealworms per feeding (every other day at night) and if she eats Dubia roaches, she eats about 15-20Dubia roaches per feeding
i think maybe that's a lot? you tell me
so she has these soft little lumps behind her front legs (basically around her armpits) well i'm pretty sure they're just calcium or fat deposits but i read up on them and different Leo owners argue that they are good and bad
they are bad because that means your Leo is receiving too much fat or calcium and their diet and too much is never good
others argue that it is a good thing just in case your Leo stops eating for some reason
her tail is plenty fat enough for storage so she is okay there but what should i do? should i just continue feeding her the way i am now or should i change my ways so she loses her side boobs?
and also i thought i'd add that her sister is 3-5months old and is a bit smaller in size, but has an accurate weight and tail size, but no side boobs... she doesn't eat near as much as the 1 with side boobs (about 15-20mealworms per feeding or 10-18Dubia roaches per feeding)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:18 PM
is a little "special"

Stella got those too, but they disapeered when she went off food for a little while. Apparently the are actually protein bubbles, and I think that they are probably caused by all the Herptivite that you are giving them. Calcium should be used with one of their meals every day, but you only need to give them a multi-vitamin once a week. I give my lizards calcium with their feedings during the week, and Herptivite on the weekend.

BTW, that is a LOT for a leopard gecko to eat! Stella would never eat more than about 10 dubia or mealies in a day, even if I offered her more. Most leopard geckos will eat about 5 - 7 feeders a day. I would cut down on their feeders a bit too, since that is a heck of a lot of protein there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Adolescent Pup

This may be due to oversupplementation--that can be dangerous, in the long run. I would restrict multivitamins to just once a week, and dust using a plain calcium supplement with D3 twice a week. Use plain calcium without D3 the rest of the time.

Over-supplementing can be just as unhealthy as under-supplementing.

At 6 months old, I don't see a reason to reduce food...they're only eating every other day, yes? The usual schedule is food once per day, as much as they can eat in 15 minutes. Feeding every other day, I would expect them to eat a lot more. If she's eating tons, perhaps she's going to be a really big gecko as an adult.
I think reducing the supplementation will take care of the problem.
Geckos at 6 months are still growing, so I don't think their getting overweight is a big concern. If she were a year old, it would be different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 PM
is a little "special"

Oh, I missed the everyother day part! That makes more sense now LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

so i currently have this
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754047
and you're saying use the Herptivite Multivitamins once on the weekends when i feed them...
should i get this as D3 free calcium?
http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Reptil...itamin-D3.aspx
and you said use it when i'm not feeding D3 calcium... well, should i powder the crickets with multivitamins AND D3 free calcium on the weekends?
and should i get this as a D3 calcium?
and you said to feed it twice a week...
and do you mean with every insect per feeding?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeworkCrazy View Post
so i currently have this
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754047
and you're saying use the Herptivite Multivitamins once on the weekends when i feed them...
Yes, that would be fine.

Quote:
should i get this as D3 free calcium?
and you said use it when i'm not feeding D3 calcium... well, should i powder the crickets with multivitamins AND D3 free calcium on the weekends?
No, just the vitamin powder.

Quote:
and should i get this as a D3 calcium?
Sure, that works. Flukers isn't my favorite brand, but I haven't heard anything bad about their supplements.

Quote:
and you said to feed it twice a week...
and do you mean with every insect per feeding?
Yes, all insects offered should be dusted.

I was confused by the fact you were feeding the geckos every other day, rather than every day (Leopard geckos are often fed daily until they are 8 to 12 months old). With an every-other-day feeding schedule, it would be best to use the vitamin powder once, and the cal + D3 the other two times, and only use the D3-free calcium if you are offering a dish of calcium.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

@Winged... thanks that was very helpful... i have been using these supplements for almost 2 months now and their side-boobs are gone and they are both catching up in weight! thanks so much for all the help

~ Proud mommy of rabbits, rodents, and a dog ~
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Adolescent Pup

No problem, glad to hear they're thriving for you.

Tags
calcium deposit, fat deposit, juvenile