Photos! Can anyone help me with the age and sex of my Iguana? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Can anyone help me with the age and sex of my Iguana?

I got my iguana a few weeks ago and they couldnt tell me how old "it" was so could someone help me?

"it" is 22 inches from head to tail and 6 from head to where his tail starts

its fine if no one can help me tell if hes a boy or girl but id like to at least figure out his age

here are some pictures

a few days ago V

when i 1st got him V

also this is my 1st time posting a thread on this site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 07:11 PM
is a little "special"

Aww, it's pretty cute!
IDK about the age or sex (I could help you if you had a beardie though, LOL), but sometimes it can be hard to tell with lizards, since their growth depends a lot on how well they are cared for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Aww, it's pretty cute!
IDK about the age or sex (I could help you if you had a beardie though, LOL), but sometimes it can be hard to tell with lizards, since their growth depends a lot on how well they are cared for.

did you see how much he had grown in the picture with my hands? its amazing. lol but yeah i read online that hes around 6months-1year going on length
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 PM
is a little "special"

Yeah it's unbelievable how fast they grow, isn't it? How long does it take for iggys to be full grown?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Yeah it's unbelievable how fast they grow, isn't it? How long does it take for iggys to be full grown?
uhh... well like you said it depends but i have no idea honestly. :/ i saw one that was 4 years old and it was big.

do they stop growing ?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They don't stop growing but they do slow down after about 2 years is about full grown it will be hard to notice growing after 2 but when you look at pictures you will notice later. for a healthy well taken care of ig, if its stunted it will grow more.

It looks older to me, i'd say a year to 2. it has a more mature looking face. If it is a year or two it will grow more with good care.

You need to change the diet, you are feeding lettuce, you need to feed a mix of turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens. And have a good UVB light. 12 on 12 off.

Good luck!

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 10:13 AM
is a little "special"

Yeah, I thought it's face looked a little older too, but I'm no iguana expert.

And I highly recommend the brand ReptiSun (by Zoomed) for a UVB light. They have the best flouescent light in the US. You can order one for $30 shipped at www.petmountain.com

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
They don't stop growing but they do slow down after about 2 years is about full grown it will be hard to notice growing after 2 but when you look at pictures you will notice later. for a healthy well taken care of ig, if its stunted it will grow more.

It looks older to me, i'd say a year to 2. it has a more mature looking face. If it is a year or two it will grow more with good care.

You need to change the diet, you are feeding lettuce, you need to feed a mix of turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens. And have a good UVB light. 12 on 12 off.

Good luck!
yeah im doing the lights like that but i cant find those foods anywhere other then in this weird dried/freeze dried food that i have to add water to.. its like 20 dollars for a big jar of it. do you know what im taking about?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Yeah, I thought it's face looked a little older too, but I'm no iguana expert.

And I highly recommend the brand ReptiSun (by Zoomed) for a UVB light. They have the best flouescent light in the US. You can order one for $30 shipped at www.petmountain.com
i already have lights though?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

your grocery store should have it in the produce section. They are very southern foods and so you should find em in texas.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
your grocery store should have it in the produce section. They are very southern foods and so you should find em in texas.
hmm.. maybe i need to try a different grocery store or have my mom look cause i cant find any :/ but have you heard of the dried food i talked about ?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 03:26 PM
is a little "special"

The dried food shouldn't be used as a staple food, because freeze dried doesn't have as much nutrients as fresh. I've used it for my beardie before, but I would just put it on top of their fresh salads kinda as a treat.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
The dried food shouldn't be used as a staple food, because freeze dried doesn't have as much nutrients as fresh. I've used it for my beardie before, but I would just put it on top of their fresh salads kinda as a treat.

thanks

Tags
age, gender, iguana