Crested Gecko? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Crested Gecko?

Alright, so I was looking into getting rats once again (this time properly) but had to face the facts that my current job simply doesn't leave me enough time to give them all they would need and some serious redecorating would have to be done in my place.

So I went searching in the Closet of Doom and refound a ten and twenty gallon. I looked, discarded fish, and immediately thought reptile/snake. After doing a bit of research (not as much as when I officially decide, of course) I became interested in Crested Geckos.

So some questions:

How would you cool down an enclosure if the heat climbed too high? Not in the tank itself, but the surrounding room (like, AC died etc.)

So far I've heard that 10's are good for one gecko but also that 20's are good for one gecko... which one is it? In a 20 could you add more? How many?

If using live plants how in the world are they grown? Do you put soil in the bottom of the tank and grow them? Are they placed individually in pots?

I assume there are electronic gadgets that measure humidity and heat?

If I decided to feed supplements of crickets/other things how do you keep them alive? What kind of enclosure? What do they eat? What happens to the really big ones? Do you hafta kill 'em cuz yer reptile can't eat them?

I keep hearing that Crested Gecko's eat fruit... can you actually feed them fruit and if so, what kind?

Well, off to do more research. Hopefully someone can answer my questions ^^

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingPup View Post
Alright, so I was looking into getting rats once again (this time properly) but had to face the facts that my current job simply doesn't leave me enough time to give them all they would need and some serious redecorating would have to be done in my place.

So I went searching in the Closet of Doom and refound a ten and twenty gallon. I looked, discarded fish, and immediately thought reptile/snake. After doing a bit of research (not as much as when I officially decide, of course) I became interested in Crested Geckos.

So some questions:

How would you cool down an enclosure if the heat climbed too high? Not in the tank itself, but the surrounding room (like, AC died etc.)

Some people use damp towels or ice (make gecko can't touch it though)

So far I've heard that 10's are good for one gecko but also that 20's are good for one gecko... which one is it? In a 20 could you add more? How many?

A 10 is good for a juvenile, 20 is good for an adult.

If using live plants how in the world are they grown? Do you put soil in the bottom of the tank and grow them? Are they placed individually in pots?

You could construct a false bottom and plant the plants directly into the soil or you could just leave them in pots. With live plants you'll need to use UV lighting.

I assume there are electronic gadgets that measure humidity and heat?

Yes, yes there are. Take a look on online sites and at the store.

If I decided to feed supplements of crickets/other things how do you keep them alive? What kind of enclosure? What do they eat? What happens to the really big ones? Do you hafta kill 'em cuz yer reptile can't eat them?

I keep hearing that Crested Gecko's eat fruit... can you actually feed them fruit and if so, what kind?

You need to feed a premade diet. The best and most trusted is Crested Gecko Diet by Allen Repashy. It is a complete meal replacement so you do not need to supplement with anything although you can still give crickets.

Well, off to do more research. Hopefully someone can answer my questions ^^

Hopefully that helped. If you have anymore question please ask.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Great advice! Also, you can usually buy crickets at the pet store for next to nothing. They have sizes of the crickets too, so I would get small or medium when the crestie is bigger. But small is your best bet.

On keeping them alive, they pretty much stay alive for a week without any care. At all. (oops!) But the people at the pet store will let you know what to feed them to keep them alive longer. At my pet store they sell them in bags of about 10, so you really won't have to keep them for very long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I can't answer questions about Cresties, but I can about crickets. Everything I've read says to feed crickets a high-protein diet, or they'll feed on each other. If you want to keep them alive longer, they need to be separated individually. We have a shoe-box sized plastic container that we once poured all the crickets we got for my fiance's tarantula into(about 24) and they all started killing one another until 8 were left. Then they left each other completely alone. So apparently they're small communal insects, not large communal insects. I've read feed them dog kibble, or fish flakes, both should be high in protein, and also feed alfalfa-based rabbit pellets. They need to be ground, because crickets can't bite into the dog kibble as is, it needs to be ground into a powder, along with the rabbit pellets.

Personally, I think it's mean to make anything live as long as it can without nutrients. Our crickets always have Fluker's Cricket Quencher(gelatinous water so they don't drown) and their food(dog kibble + alfalfa based rabbit pellets) available.

Their true diet, of course, is decaying plant and animal matter.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Hello Earthling

If you want to feed crickets (not necessary but you can if you want to supplement the CGD) you can feed them the left over dried CGD that you can scrape out of the bowl. Also provide some chunks of carrot or potato for moisture. You could also use a shallow bowl with a cotton ball or paper towel but it will get nasty really quick and be full of bacteria if you don't change it often. The gelatinous water is also ok to use but it costs more and there is some concern with the gel sticking to the crickets and the reptile ingesting it.

Make sure that the enclosure which you keep the crickets in is well ventilated and that you remove the dead crickets as often as possible as dead crickets will kill the good crickets... and crickets stick.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you for the replies everyone!

I do have a couple more questions: can the juvenile live in the 20? Or is it like Corn Snakes where they need the close quarters until they get bigger?

Is there a place online that ships to Canada that I can buy the Crested Gecko food? I highly doubt any of our pet stores have it.

I heard that if feeding crickets AND the CG food you shouldn't dust the crickets with that calcium stuff, is that true?

When feeding the CG food do you hafta show them where it is and/or offer some first before they 'get it' or do they dive right in? Do you feed it in a shallow dish in the enclosure?

I know what firing up is but what does it indicate? Excitement? Fear?

Aaaand that's all I have right now...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I do have a couple more questions: can the juvenile live in the 20? Or is it like Corn Snakes where they need the close quarters until they get bigger?
With a new hatchling, it's advisable to keep them in a small enclosure so you can easily monitor them, collect fecal samples, etc. They also won't get "lost" looking for food and water. In your case, I would buy a slightly older juvenile OR buy a Critter Keeper type enclosure as a temporary home.

Quote:
Is there a place online that ships to Canada that I can buy the Crested Gecko food? I highly doubt any of our pet stores have it.
https://www.pangeareptile.com

Quote:
I heard that if feeding crickets AND the CG food you shouldn't dust the crickets with that calcium stuff, is that true?
Since the Repashy diet is complete, there's no need for other supplements, correct.

Quote:
When feeding the CG food do you hafta show them where it is and/or offer some first before they 'get it' or do they dive right in? Do you feed it in a shallow dish in the enclosure?
My advice would be to get your gecko from a reputable breeder where it's already eating CGD. Geckos raised on baby food and fruit can be more picky although most just "get it" anyways. I offer food in a shallow lid (most bowls are deeper than needed) on the bottom of the enclosure. Where you place it doesn't matter too much as long as it's easy for the gecko to find.

Quote:
Excitement, which can also mean fear . Mine fires up sometimes when hunting, being handled, or when running around at night. It means the gecko is awake and very alert.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I definitely think I'll end up going the 'older' route simply because I don't have any previous herp experience. I would be afraid of getting a juvenile.

Oh, the smaller quarters are no problem anyways; I have both a ten gallon and a twenty.

Yes! A crested gecko website! Thank you sooo much! I didn't find much typing it in Google so this is epic!

I'll hafta find a breeder first... and knowing where I live it'll be a ten hour drive to pick it up as they probably don't ship very well.

Aahaha, I suppose a fired up Gecko means absolutely nothing at all

Oops, forgot to add more questions.

Since Canada shipping can take anywhere from one to six weeks how often do you feed the Crested gecko's and usually how much?

Does the Repashy food expire? Can it be frozen if it does expire (and won't harm it, obviously)?

Which size bags do you buy? and how long does it usually last considering how many geckos you have?

Last edited by BarkingPup; 05-19-2010 at 07:50 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I really don't have a good estimate as far as food goes, I just buy it when I need it. I have one adult and I probably go through about 8 oz. (one bag) every year. My crested gecko is probably my most inexpensive pet, even compared to some of my fish!

I keep the food in the refrigerator to make it last but I don't know if you can freeze it.

They ship fine so don't be afraid to buy one online, provided the breeder seems knowledgeable, the geckos are cared for, there's a guarantee, etc. But some people prefer to see the gecko in real life first, it's up to you . Are there any reptile shows in your area?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Hello Earthling

Thank you for the replies everyone!

It is advisable to keep small geckos in small enclosures as to reduces stress and ensure that the gecko it finding food.

The shipping for the food from the US is crazy so I suggest you buy it right in Canada. Where are you located?

CGD is a complete diet so you don't even need to feed crickets but if you want to feed crickets dust them very few feedings with calcium WITHOUT D3

Usually they can find it on their own but you can start them off by hand feeding them. If they have been fed baby food (which is a HUGE no-no) it may take them awhile since its like candy to them. Try and get a gecko from a breeder who is feeding CGD

It can indicate a lot of things no one really knows...

Aaaand that's all I have right now...

====================================
I definitely think I'll end up going the 'older' route simply because I don't have any previous herp experience. I would be afraid of getting a juvenile.

Oh, the smaller quarters are no problem anyways; I have both a ten gallon and a twenty.

Yes! A crested gecko website! Thank you sooo much! I didn't find much typing it in Google so this is epic!

I'll hafta find a breeder first... and knowing where I live it'll be a ten hour drive to pick it up as they probably don't ship very well.
Try and get a gecko in Canada. A gecko may be kept at the boarder if it is shipped from the US.

Aahaha, I suppose a fired up Gecko means absolutely nothing at all

Oops, forgot to add more questions.

Since Canada shipping can take anywhere from one to six weeks how often do you feed the Crested gecko's and usually how much?
Every other day, just a layer on the bottom of the bowl. You start to be able to gauge how much you gecko eats.

Does the Repashy food expire? Can it be frozen if it does expire (and won't harm it, obviously)?
Yep you can freeze it, but there is some debate on whether or not freezing the food has any affect but its worked fine for me.

Which size bags do
you buy? and how long does it usually last considering how many geckos you have?

I buy food once a year. I think I bought 32 oz. for 8 geckos and I am only on the second bag (it came in two bags).

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasami
I really don't have a good estimate as far as food goes, I just buy it when I need it. I have one adult and I probably go through about 8 oz. (one bag) every year. My crested gecko is probably my most inexpensive pet, even compared to some of my fish!
Wow, that is really cheap. I'll probably try the smaller bag first and see how much it eats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasami
They ship fine so don't be afraid to buy one online, provided the breeder seems knowledgeable, the geckos are cared for, there's a guarantee, etc. But some people prefer to see the gecko in real life first, it's up to you . Are there any reptile shows in your area?
I... have no idea if there's shows of any kind in my area. Maybe down in vancouver (ten hour drive I was talking about)... but I think all we have is a dog show sponsored by the SPCA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter
Is there a place online that ships to Canada that I can buy the Crested Gecko food? I highly doubt any of our pet stores have it. The shipping for the food from the US is crazy so I suggest you buy it right in Canada. Where are you located?
Hmmm... I live in Prince George BC. The only place that would probably have the food would be the new Petsmart. They have Zupreem pellets for birds so perhaps they would have the crested Gecko food.

Quote:
I'll hafta find a breeder first... and knowing where I live it'll be a ten hour drive to pick it up as they probably don't ship very well. Try and get a gecko in Canada. A gecko may be kept at the boarder if it is shipped from the US.
Oooh, I never even thought of that. I'll definitely try to find one in my area. I'll hafta make sure they ship them too... a lot of places don't like to.

Quote:
Does the Repashy food expire? Can it be frozen if it does expire (and won't harm it, obviously)? Yep you can freeze it, but there is some debate on whether or not freezing the food has any affect but its worked fine for me.
Does it need to be defrosted before you feed it? Or will mixing it with warm water work out? Well, considering what yer Gecko's look like it certainly hasn't done them any harm

Aaaand moar questions! (I must be getting irritating now, eh?)

I've been looking up plant terrariums (really interested in keeping live plants in thar) and have some questions about keeping them.

I would assume since the lid should be mesh-y they would need to be watered. Or does misting do the trick for that?

Since you have to turn the aquarium sideways to accommodate the climbing, how in the world does the soil stay in there? Do you put some sort of guard over the front as well as the false bottom?

Speaking of false bottoms; how in the world do you do that? I guess it's got holes in it or something to let the plants grow through? How do you attach it to the aquarium sides? What's it made of?

Ummm... I think that's all I have for this round

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I buy my cg food from my local petco, I'm not sure if petsmart or others would have it but they probably will. You could just give them a call.

Personally, I started out with a few live plants, but one in particular is just thriving in there. And I don't use any extra lighting for it. I will send you a link to a picture, because it seems especially with plants everyone has different names for the same plant!

http://www.brandimills.com/blog/wp-c...nake-Plant.jpg

I don't water it a whole lot, maybe not even once a month. But it does just fine with the misting and an occassional water.

And I don't have a false bottom in my tank, I just have coconut fibers I lay down in the bottom and change out every once in a while. But I have a tank topper that stays on quite well by itself. I got it from petco and it has tabs (kindof) that keeps it in place. I don't have mine swing open, I just take it off when I need to get in there, but you could make it so it swings open.

Also to think about with the plants is that when you pot them, the soil you use could (for many reasons) be harmful to your gecko. So leave about 1-2 inches at the top of the soil and put your organic liner on top of the potting soil. Does that make sense? Sorry, I never really had a way with words lol
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

But all my experience with live plants has lead me to LOVE fake plants. I just recently went buck wild at the dollar store buying a ton of fake plants and Guy (my cg) loves it. You can just hear him at night jumping all around and rustling, I believe he is a thousand times happier with the fake plants (I got vines and flowers and ferns) than he is with the live plants. Plus, you can redecorate with the fake plants every so often. Just my opinion though!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Hello Earthling

PetSmart does have the CGD but it is expensive and it comes in a small bottle. I will PM you the name of my supplier and could also check www.reptilescanada.com

As for live plants you need to wash the roots and leaves and repot with organic soil.

A false bottom just ensures that the plants won't be sitting in a pool of water. It is basically a drainage layer.

The food doesn't actually freeze solid so you just have to take it out an take what you need a put it back. Just make sure the food doesn't get moist before you put it back or it may spoil.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Hello Earthling

Oh and on live plants, I found that the live plants made my room smell weird.

Tags
crested gecko, cricket keeping, food, housing, question