Are crested gecko easy to take care of? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Are crested gecko easy to take care of?

yeah so im wondering how difficult crested geckos are to take care of compared to leopard geckos?

how big do they get? i dont know anything about them soo..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The size depends on gender and care but I'd say about 6-8 inches max.

They're very easy to care for. The food is a powder mixed with water and they don't need special heating or lighting. You do need to keep the humidity up but that's easily accomplished by misting the enclosure and using substrate that retains moisture .

Here are some care sheets:

http://www.pangeareptile.com/id52.htm
http://www.dragontownreptiles.com/crestedgeckocare.htm

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thank you. do you think that getting one would be to stressful for me having an iguana already? im not stressed out at all having my iguana as it is cause hes pretty easy to take care of so far

whats the smallest aquarium i could get for it when its an adult? right now im using a 20 gallon for my iguana so i could always wait and use that later but it said something about getting a tall aquarium and i have a long one instead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Well, an iguana is one of the most difficult reptiles to keep, honestly. They can be difficult to handle as adults and their diets take some planning (not to mention how huge they get). I don't think a crested gecko would take up too much of your time but definitely make sure you're prepared for an adult iguana.

These links might help:

http://www.2ndchance.info/IguanaCare.htm
http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/igcare.htm
http://www.greenigsociety.org/careinfo.htm

As for the gecko, a 20-gallon is fine, you can just flip it on its side . A 10-gallon (tall or a regular one flipped) is fine for a younger crested gecko, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 07:49 PM
is a little "special"

... Your iguana's in a 20 gallon? Didn't you say he was 20-some inches long?

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Your ig needs a HUGE cage, like yesterday then you could use the 20 gal for a crestie

An ig cage should be atleast 4 wide 6 tall and 4 wide. Mine is actually a dog kennel for outside that i changed into an iguana cage. so mine is 4 x 4 x 5.5 tall but she gets the whole room now so it works

and compared to an ig a crested gecko is nothing as far as care goes.

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 PM
is a little "special"

Yeah, that's what I though. My beardie is smaller than your iguana, and he is in a 40 gallon (being upgraded soon though).

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

omg... his head is to small for the cage i have for him ok (he would get through the bars and get loose) those aquariums are pricey im not made of money i would prolly never use an aquarium that size for anything else anyways so imo getting it is a waste of money seeing as in a few months (if that) hes gonna be big enough for the one ive got. its just a temporary thing. and yes i might sound bad here and yeah im being a bit cheap but whatever

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

also from what i saw your breaded dragon is like 2 or 3 times the size of my iguana cause i saw that video of it with the bunny

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 01:37 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
also from what i saw your breaded dragon is like 2 or 3 times the size of my iguana cause i saw that video of it with the bunny
actually i think ur iguana is bigger then her beardie, if u look at the pics of her beardie alone hes alot smaller, but thats just my thought, i understand what u mean about the tank and money thou its not easy, have u considered maybe building him a temp cage ?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
actually i think ur iguana is bigger then her beardie, if u look at the pics of her beardie alone hes alot smaller, but thats just my thought, i understand what u mean about the tank and money thou its not easy, have u considered maybe building him a temp cage ?

yeah but theyre built different. my iguanas body is only about 6 inchs while his tail is 22 inches or so. idk my iguana seems pretty small if u ask me but idk what to build it out of and i need my mom to help me.. idk..

also how big should the iguanas cage be compared to like.. a fridge? lol

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

what about looking online ? im sure u could find many ideas for iguana cages that would be easy and cheap to build. how big is the cage that u have that he will be eventually in ? maybe this site will help u not sure how good it is, but you could look at it if u want http://www.iguanaden.org/housing/cagematerials.htm

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

oh yeah and that last question of mine was kinda for everyone

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
what about looking online ? im sure u could find many ideas for iguana cages that would be easy and cheap to build. how big is the cage that u have that he will be eventually in ? maybe this site will help u not sure how good it is, but you could look at it if u want http://www.iguanaden.org/housing/cagematerials.htm

this exactly.. only top and bottom. pretty sure the middle comes out and the ladders and platforms are removable. i was gonna put glass or some kind of thick plastic around the outside to keep it warmer and stuff. i didnt buy it for him we already had it so yeahh..

36 Inches by 25 Inches by 24 Inches

but it says its an add on so i think the cage is that doubled so 72 50 48 ?

Last edited by Fishy; 03-27-2011 at 02:21 AM. Reason: forgot to finish lol
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 03:24 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

OOOh so you have a ferret nation for the little guy?

By Anonymous

Tags
crested, easy, gecko, leopard