Crested Gecko's? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Question Crested Gecko's?

Ive always loved them guys and im seeing more and more of them and of course them on here!
Ive always been interested in them but i don't know much about them, and when i finish college in a year/year and a half i am going to be getting another pet as i will have more time and more time to research what will suit me!
But before i even think of getting one i will be doing alot of research but as you guys seem to have a few of them i would LOVE some first hand advice on a few questions and just general good to know information on them!

What size of tank and what kind of tank should they be housed in?
Male or female? Tell me why you suggest one or the other.
What diet do they NEED, can they live without eating insects?
Do they need any other special care?
In general are they good for FIRST lizard owners?

I hope to get some good advice
And ive never owned a reptile and wouldnt even think of owning one until i researched them.

Thanks guys x

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I'm with you Claire, I think they are so cool and I would love to get one someday, so this info would be helpful to me as well!

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Hello Earthling

Crested geckos are great!!

What size tank do they need and what kind of tank should they be housed in?
Adult geckos should have a 20 gallon + tank. Juveniles can be housed in 10 gallons and hatchings should be housed in 1-5 gallons.

Glass aquarium turned on their end to make them tall works best. You'll need to use a screen lid or make a 'door' for it. You could also use storage bins with holes and screen.

Male or Female? Explain.
I have both male and female geckos and I don't really find that there is a difference in temperament etc... The one thing I do notice is Bertha uses her little nails more then Lewis.
A male would be best if you don't want to deal a whole lot with calcium, as females, even when not bred will lay eggs so you need to check calcium levels to avoid MBD.
You can house females together but males will fight.

What diet do they need? Do they need insects.
One of the aspects of crested gecko that drew me to the them (and my mother) was that they don't need crickets, roaches etc... They can be fed entirely on crested gecko diet which is a powder that you mix with water. The CGD is a complete diet no need to add anything. Just mix it with water and its ready to feed.
I feed my geckos only CGD with the occasional silkworms (which I dip in CGD)
NEVER feed baby food, even if some 'expert' tell you it is ok. Also don't try making your own, even the more experienced keepers can't get all the proper nutrition.

Do they need special care?
I would not say that they do require any special care. They can live fine without a heater depending on the temperature and climate. Temperatures above 82 degrees is very stressful for them. They also don't need any special lighting, in less you want to keep live plants in the enclosure.

Are they good for a first time lizard owner?
YES!! They are great for beginners. Easy to care for, no bugs needed. They are also very soft to touch and tolerate handling

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Thank you so much Kayla i was hoping you would reply.
I have a 30 or a 40 gal free tank atm that i will be using but don't know how to make a screen lol!
Yes the bug feeding would be a big problem for me as i personally couldnt watch them eating the insects !
But our temp were we live never hits above 20 o c which is like 70 in your country? so i don't think that will be a problem and our winters are not too cold either.
Im really falling inlove with the little guys esp seeing yours alot, so thank you, and if you ever think you need to give me some more advice don't hesitate to PM me lol!

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Newborn Pup

I recommend a visit to Repashy Forums, Pangea Reptile Forums, and Fauna Classified Forums. All offer books, food and actual live reptiles....

These are geared more to Reptiles and more specifically all Rhacodactylus Geckos.

Allen Repashy is one of the men who first discovered and wrote the Rhac Bible that details this species. They were believed to be extinct until 1990....Only on New Caledonia.

I love my Cresteds, but am more into the education aspect of their care. Best choice of first reptile in my experience....

I am really enjoying the community here, though, I must admit. The others can get a bit nippy...lol!! Back me up there, Canadiancritter...

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4.8.16.3 Crested Gecko
2.0 Leopard Gecko
1.3 Domestic Cat
0.2 Golden Retriever
1.1 Prairie Dog
0.1 Cory Cat
2.1 Beautiful Children
1.0 Patient Husband
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Hello Earthling

All of the forums mentioned are great to get information from people who have been keeping crested geckos and other Rhacs for years.

Paw-Talk is the best forum out of all of them though... in the hospitality aspect