Crested Geckos, are they for me? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Crested Geckos, are they for me?

Hey all
Lately I've been getting stronger and stronger needs for a lizard! I have been looking at crested geckos, care for them seems not too demanding and they seem handleable, which I would love. I have a few questions, if anyone could help me out.
I want a lizard, but I want to avoid feeding them live crickets at all costs. Maybe for a treat or supplement once in a while, but I would prefer not to constantly have crickets around my house. Would a crested be healthy with just a vegetable diet? I have seen a bit of info on the internet, but some are complete marketing ploys for pre-mixed foods.
Number 2,
Would a 20 gallon tank be ideal for one gecko, and on another note, are they okay being by themselves, or do I need a few for them to be their happiest?
I was also wondering if geckos would be alright without a light in the summer time, it has been getting up to 90 degrees here. It would just be nice to put off another high priced thing unless they really needed it.

Thanks for the help! I think I might have fallen in love!

Last edited by becrac16; 08-18-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I can't help, but wait until CanadianCritter reads this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Hello Earthling

Crested geckos make great first reptiles for a beginner. You will be able to handle your gecko with easy if you take him/her out at least every other day. Hatchlings are jumpy though.

Crested geckos do not need to be fed crickets, but they do enjoy the treat. I personally give mine silkworms. The premade food is not a marketing ploy, but really it is the food that they should be fed.

Crested gecko diet by Allen Repashy is a complete diet that does not require you to feed crickets or supplement their diet. All you do is mix it with water. You can get 32 oz. for 40 dollars over here and that should last me a year plus with 3 geckos and two on the way.

A 20 gallon would be excellent for one gecko. Turn it on its end to make it tall since crested geckos are arboreal meaning they prefer height. Use fake or live plants and be sure to provide lots of coverage and areas where the gecko is completely to help avoid floppy tail syndrome (FTS). You can search the lizard forum for pictures of my two enclosures.

Special lighting is not nessasary in less you are using live plants, also crested gecko can become stressed and die in tempatures above 82 degrees.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Hello Earthling

Here's the thread with my enclosures. They ave changed since the pictures esp. the 40 gallon but you get the idea. The 40 gallon no longer has the coco fiber since I found it too hard to find the eggs, and I have added a new bigger plant

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f89/t...ums-53285.html

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Hello Earthling

Oh and do not feed baby food, it will lead to health problems.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hooray! Thanks so much, I plan on having a few live plants in there. I researched a ton about chameleons and bought non toxic plants to have in his cage and didn't end up getting one. So, yay!

Do they calm down a bit when they're older? I just went to petco and held one, poor baby jumped right into my hair so quick! I'm not sure I want one if they just jump around like crazy, but granted he was pretty scared.

Thanks for the advice on the baby food, is it alright to give them applesauce, (non sweetened of course)?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Hello Earthling

My adults are much calmer than my juvinile. So yes they do calm down, but they still like to jump around and run, they will also sit on your hand.

If you don't want to feed live I would suggest feeding the CGD. Apple sauce is not acceptable to give them.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Of course, I was just thinking as a treat, or as in a i-love-you-please-like-me-a-little-bit persuasion.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
Of course, I was just thinking as a treat, or as in a i-love-you-please-like-me-a-little-bit persuasion.
Yeah, you could give some as a treat. My gecko really likes bananas so that's something else to try. I don't feed fruit too often, though, I mostly feed the CGD and some insects.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Hello Earthling

it you want to feed a treat I would use over ripe fruits such as bananas, cherries and mango. Apple sauce and baby food are things to avoid. When feeding the crested gecko diet it best to feed it only or with insects, adding apple sauce or baby food is said to alter the nutrishional value of the CGD

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
it you want to feed a treat I would use over ripe fruits such as bananas, cherries and mango. Apple sauce and baby food are things to avoid. When feeding the crested gecko diet it best to feed it only or with insects, adding apple sauce or baby food is said to alter the nutrishional value of the CGD
Hmm. I don't see how apple sauce is different than feeding fruits, UNLESS you're talking about the apple sauce that has stuff added like sugar.

But looking at the apple sauce in my house, it's really just apples! Now, I've never fed it to my gecko before but I don't see the problem . I would never feed baby food, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Hello Earthling

I have never seen apples apper on any list I have seen with safe fruits. Also on another forum I am part of they suggested not to feed apple sause (mixed with CGD or as a treat)

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
I have never seen apples apper on any list I have seen with safe fruits. Also on another forum I am part of they suggested not to feed apple sause (mixed with CGD or as a treat)
It really does depend on the apple sauce. Some have things added, some don't.

But hey, since no one really knows, I suppose just don't feed it for now. I'm just saying that I've never seen evidence of apples being bad for geckos and I don't see why they would be (after all, it would be such a small amount). Like I said, I really don't give treats anyways--when I do, I just feed bananas.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thats fine, just wondering, I saw it somewhere but I can't remember where.

Are there any recommended brands or watts or anything that I should use for heating? I look at the lighting section of the pet store and get so overwhelmed. I was thinking of for sure getting a night heating lamp, any other ideas?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Hello Earthling

Crested geckos do not need additional heating as they stress and can die in tempatures over 82 degrees. If you need additional heating such as in the winter use a small under tank heater

Tags
crested gecko, gecko