Crested wont eat fruit Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Crested wont eat fruit Help!

My juvenile crested wont eat fruit, I have tried mashed up bananas, pears, peaches, etc. and he will only eat crickets and mealworms. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 10:41 AM

Well it takes males longer to get on baby food/fruit than it does females. My male wouldn't eat friut of any kind until about 6 months ago, and he is a year and a half old.
Just kep putting it in there for him and offer him crickets as well and sooner or later he will probably catch on.
Some Cresteds dont even eat fruit, you just have to be patient and keep offering it to him.
Now that is the only thing my crested eats, I have a bunch of baby food in my cabinets and I give him fresh everynight, every now and then I will buy him some crckets and he won't even eat them so I have quit doing that, so I offer him meat baby food every now and then for the protein that he needs.
Hope I was of some help, if not there are a lot of people that know their fair share about reptiles on here!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Ok i will try that... do you think I would get similar results by feeding the crickets/mealworms fruit ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 10:27 PM

Sounds like some good info from angela.

You can also try putting the mashed fruit in a bowl and then put meal worms on top of it. Maybe your crested will get a taste of the fruit and change his mind.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 02:17 PM

What results is it that you are wanting?
It is not a neccessity to feed your Crested fruit. It is merely a convenience, a feeding option that appeals to some people more than feeding live crickets or meal worms.
If you have any questions just let me know.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Well, I read in one crested care sheet that fruit was supposed to make up 70% of their diet but im geussing that if the crickets are fed right and "vitaminized" then it will be ok. I have also started to feed my crickets gut load cricket food and cricket drink, is this a good idea?

Thanks

Robert
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 11:27 PM

Well I think it is a gtood idea to care for the crickets as you would another pet, I feed the cricket food and water. Good nutrition starts with the crickets so making sure that they are eatng and drinking good is important, which I'm sure you already knew-sorry got a little carried away!
If you don't want to spend money on buying that kind of stuff than you could research on the internet on other ways to keep crickets ie: I read somewhere about using ground up dog food as cricket food but I don't know for sure if you would have to supplement with vitamins or not.
As for fruit making up 70% of their diet. All I can say is be sure and keep offering it so that it will be in there for it if it wants it.
As soon as I quite worrying about my Crested eating the fruit he just started going after it like crazy, I couldn't give it to him fast enough at night! Just be patient if it needs it it will eat it.
Sorry what is your cresteds name? I feel bad about calling it and IT!
You should drop in at the introductions page and let us all know a little about you ( if you have already done that then please ignore me!!) every one here is super nice and always willing to help!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help and yes you have been very nice in answering my question. I think i'm going to call my crested Guy untill I can tell otherwise (It's unsexed ) I will take some time at the introductions page thanks for the suggestion!

Bobby
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Also as far as the cricket food and drink I actually meant that "Gut Load" is the name of the food im feeding the crickets and also "Cricket Drink" (it's a water replacement with calcium) - I dont know, I've read a lot and trying to get some calcium my geckos diet - i'm also giving him zoo meds powder vitams. I dont know if anyone has had any positive/negative results with the "Gut Load" stuff but i'm going to try and see how it works out.

Bobby
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 11:32 AM

Glad I could help! Oh trust me if it is a 'Guy' than it won't take long at all before you are able to tell.
How long have you had him?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

He's 3 month's old... I haven't done a close examination yet, but I will soon because I'd like to get another crested- or i may possibly use a larger aquarium and block off the middle to have two sides - is there such a thing that you could buy for this purpose?0

Thanks

-Bobby
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 09:55 AM

Yeah, There is tank dividers but to be honest I don't know off hand where you could find one. I know that alot of people seperate their fish for various reasons so you may want to look in the aquarium section of you local pet supply store.

Tags
dog food, meal worms, pet supply store