crestie is a picky eater :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

crestie is a picky eater :(

we got our crestie 3 weeks ago and he is aproximately 8months old. He seems dehydrated and we think he's eating very little. We are spraying down his tank constantly now (instead of 3-4 times day) and we are trying to get him to eat a hydration diet for leopard geckos. we are trying the clarks diet today and hopefully he'll like it (mixed with clacium). He won't touch crix at all and he glared at a small meal worm. Hopefully he'll pick up and gain a bit of weight back. Any other suggestions????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Hello Earthling

I suggest that you pick up "Crested Gecko Diet" by Allen Repashy. It is a complete diet made for crested geckos and other Rhacs.

Mixing you own food is a terrible idea, even experts on crested gecko care don't mix foods.

I didn't even know that they made a premade diet for leopard geckos, but it is not acceptable for crested geckos.

You don't want to be keeping his tank wet, you want the tank to dry out between misting.

You can provide a shallow bowl of water.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

he is getting a crested gecko diet madeby 'clarks'. the leopard gecko thing i mentioned is a special formula made for geckos for when they are dehydrated only...kind of like when people drink pedialite and ensure but made for geckos. don't worry ..i would never try to mix my own concoction. there is a water bowl there made by exoterra especially for cresties but i will make sure the tank dries out between mistings. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Do you know if he is pooping?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

we do occasionally see one or two every 3 or so days so that makes me feel a little better and he shed last week and i know he ate that
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

He shouldn't be dehydrated if you're offering water. I would suggest taking him to the vet--something else might be going on.

And I second the Repashy diet. It's the best one out there and comes in different flavors (which will help if your gecko is just being picky).

How are you offering food and what are the temperatures in the tank? Don't mist the tank constantly, just mist enough to keep the humidity up. If the tank is dripping wet, you're misting too often.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo1970 View Post
he is getting a crested gecko diet madeby 'clarks'. the leopard gecko thing i mentioned is a special formula made for geckos for when they are dehydrated only...kind of like when people drink pedialite and ensure but made for geckos. don't worry ..i would never try to mix my own concoction. there is a water bowl there made by exoterra especially for cresties but i will make sure the tank dries out between mistings. thanks

I would personally suggest that you order some "Crested Gecko Diet" made by Repashy Super Foods. Its a tried and true formula, and many people have been feeding it to their crested geckos as the only food source for years with no problem.

Which Clark's are you feeding? The complete diet is argued to actually not be complete and requires the additional feeding of crickets.

Tags
clarks, crested, gecko