Crickets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Crickets

I was going to put this in other pets, but they aren't really pets....

My cricket eggs hatched today!!! I have about a million crickets smaller than fruit flies now, lol. Unfortunately I wasn't very confident that they would actually hatch, so I hadn't thought through what exactly I was going to do with them untill they get big enough for Haley to eat

All I did was put a tupperware with some expandable reptile bedding in it in the cricket tank when I had big mature crickets and left it in there for about a week (till they were all gone), snapped the lid on there and left it in the kitchen for about 2 weeks! The day before yesterday flies had apparently hatched in there and grown up, so Haley got a treat of flies and then today I looked to see if there were more flies and I find hundreds of teeny tiny crickets! It's pretty silly, but I am so excited!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 05:15 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

lol! hahahaha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

omg Becki! That actually sounds facinating! I'm such a total bug-phobe though I don't know what I'd do.
How many of them do you think will grow big enough for Haley to eat? Wow- that can save a lot of money and trips to the pet store to buy crickets!
I'm not quite sure how you did it though.... your mature crickets laid eggs in the tupperware?
OK- I need to see a picture of a million tiny crickets

Yay! congrats!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 07:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yep, we definitely need pics!!

Stephanie

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

LOL I don't have a camera and they're growing fast! I have no idea how many will make it, I wasn't even sure I could get them this far! Hopefully if I can keep enough alive I can stop buying them! The only thing is you have to start with full grown ones, let the eggs sit for 2 weeks, and let them grow for 3 or 4 weeks, so you have to hatch them in batches I guess. And I don't have anymore big crickets to lay eggs, oh well, just a test run I suppose I may need to get a few more cricket eaters just to keep up with production!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 02:31 AM

That is the delimma, Becki. Crickets vs. Cricket Eaters.

We never tried actually going so far as to letting the crickets lay eggs and then trying to hatch them. We thought of it as taking on another pet. We just might have to do that later on when Thomas and any other siblings are big enough to help. That would be an interesting science project.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

They really are neat! Just from what I see so far though, you'd need a lot of space and definetly some time to spend on them. I bet the kids would love it just as much as the lizards too
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Becki- (cricket grandma )
I was going to post in a new thread - but saw this one still here...

I was wondering how your crickets are doing?

How many do you have now? Are they growing? How do you take care of them?

Do they chirp?

It just sounds so interesting! I was wondering how the cricket project was going

[center]

[
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

I am a failure at the cricket rearing! At the time we were having a cockroach problem and when I poisoned them alot ended up hiding in the cricket bin... I think they ate them! I'm just going to stick with buying them until I have more space.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:41 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

omg! I hope the ugly roaches ended up choking on their last meal!!

[center]

[
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I noticed my new title the other day... I went from grandma to killer in the blink of an eye!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 02:36 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I noticed that when it changed

you now have the dubious distinction of being a cricket killer
Who else could say that though! You are special and unique!

[center]

[

Tags
lay eggs, pet store