Did Iguana swallow something? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Did Iguana swallow something?

We're new to this forum and my wife is very worried that our iguana swallowed a bullet that was in deer meat!It was old in freezer and was cooked up for dogs but while she was cutting it found a bullet.The boy wanted it and left it on a child's table and our iguana has run of the house at times and it disappeared! Our iguana hasn't been acting his rowdy self lately and my wife is very worried. She has had all kinds of animals in her life and she doesn't want the heartache of losing another little love.What can we do?We're in W.V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I don't know much about iguanas but my first thought was to take it to the vet and have it x-rayed to see if there is a foreign object in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm with Scarlette...take the iguana to the vet. If it is there it will need to be removed and I doubt he is going to pass it on his own. Keep us updated.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Keep him in his enclosure until you can get him to see a herp vet. Any time a reptile starts to act strangely it is a good idea to get it to the vet as soon as possible. Reptiles tend to display symptoms of illness when the problem is already advanced. Keeping him in the enclosure will allow him to properly thermoregulate as well -- this is something he may not be able to accomplish free around the house. A lack of proper temperatures will cause his digestive processes to slow down and this could be contributing to the problem ...

I do hope he feels better and please let us know what happens ...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Herp Nerd

The vet visit would certainly alleviate some worry, and an xray would tell you exactly what is going on and the vet may even give you some sort of a laxative to help it pass more quickly and verify whether surgery is necessary. In the mean time, you can give him some warm baths to help stimulate a bowel movement. Make sure he has plenty of water and proper heat.

Really, in the long run this will just happen again with something else. Iguanas love to free roam, but they are very curious creatures and often end up eating things they shouldn't, or knocking things off of shelves, or otherwise damaging things or getting hurt themselves. I've seen broken toes and ripped out toe nails from household carpets (and curtains). I've seen metabolic bone disease from not getting enough UV from wandering around all the time. I've seen impactions caused by paper, cat litter, even something as simple as carpet fuzz from repeated tounge tests as they wander around. They are much safer in an enclosure of their own.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 02:47 AM
Adolescent Pup

i hope your ig gets better, keep us updated x

Jo x x x

[Mr & Mrs Degu and 3 babies!]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Newborn Pup

Iguana problem

Run your finger on the underside of the iguana's stomach. If the stomach caves in, and shows a rib-cage area, then you know two things: one your iguana isn't eating, and two, he has a higher chance of having a bullet in his stomach. If he's not having regular bowel movements, a warm water bath will help, and if it doesn't, you must take him to the vet. Iguanas can have bad reactions to metal. Good luck

GeorgetteDragon

Tags
metabolic bone disease, vet visit