Dry skin? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

Dry skin?

I have one juvenile leopard gecko whom is about 3months old. I'm pretty sure it's a female and she is housed in a 30gallon aquarium with another (hopefully a) female 4month-old juvenile leopard gecko. They have paper towels for bedding, 3 hides for each baby, get plenty of calcium and vitamin dustings in their diet, eat Dubia Roaches as a regular feeder insect, get plenty of water, good heat (floor and air heat), and i have not ever seen them fight. The only time I have seen them fight is over food once and thus I decided to start feeding them separately so that wouldn't happen.
The 3month-old leopard gecko appears to have a crack (like dry skin on a human's hands, knees, or elbows) on the bridge of her nose, between her eyes and nose. It doesn't appear infected, painful, or raw or any such sort of thing. Just a crack on her nose or something. She shedded her skin 2days ago.
In any case, i may be overreacting a tiny bit but i am just checking in to make sure this isn't the start of anything big as this is my 1st set of juvenile leopard geckos and i love them to death.
please just tell me that it is nothing to worry about or if there is something i could do to help her nose or w/e. it is small and barely noticable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Adolescent Pup

If it's just stuck shed, a wet q-tip can be used to gently wet it down, and rub it off. (The gecko may object).

It's a bit difficult to tell from your description. It might also be a healing wound--is it possible the other gecko bit her? The tank is large, but if one gecko is a month older than the other, is it also larger?

A photo would be helpful.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

it could have bit her during that small spat they had about 3days ago and the older one is a bit bigger but not much
i don't have a camera that would pick up a decent picture of that tiny wound she says on her head, i have a picture of their size difference already but i don't think my camera can pick up that tiny picture of the wound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have to say, it sounds as if they aren't getting along--not all individual reptiles, even of species that can sometimes be housed in groups, will actually be ok with being housed with other animals. Reptiles are largely solitary, and very few species congregate in the wild...leopard geckos aren't one of them. It may be time to pick up a second enclosure!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

how did you orginally introduce them to eachother ? it sounds like there not getting along and it could be either they just are ment to be alone even thou female leopard geckos enjoy others but it does happen that these two don't, if there fighting i suggest seprating them. or it could be they were rushed to fast into housing together.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hm, I wouldn't characterize leopard gecko females as enjoying one another's company. Most of them will tolerate another female, but they can still be competitive. Some individuals won't tolerate one another. Very few reptiles will choose company.

(Some snakes will do so for winter brumation, and garter snakes seem to do relatively well with the company of their own kind, for example. Sliders will stack up for basking, but won't really hang out together outside of that situation. Monkey-tailed skinks have complex social structures, pair-bond, and even provided limited parental care, making them very unique).

In most cases, reptiles prefer to be alone, and thrive better when kept alone. In this case, I would say that the slightly smaller animal is at a significant disadvantage, and the older animal is too aggressive to be a suitable cage-mate. They should be separated before someone loses a tail, toe, or eye.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

actually, the smaller one started that spat and that is the only 1 i have seen, if you guys deem it necessary, i can seperate them but i'd prefer not to, as i said, that was over food and i have gotten into the habit of feeding them seperately and out of their cage so they aren't competing for food
i got them at the same petstore from the same cage-they were in a 10gallon with 2other juvenile Leopard Geckos and i brought them home and immediatly housed them together
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

Was the mark on the nose the result of that fight? Have you been able to determine if it is a bite?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Leopard geckos can often times be housed together and do fine, but as soon as they show any signs of fighting or not getting along I recommend they be separated.

The fight you saw may have been over food, and you may have found a good way to prevent that from happening again, but Leo's can and do get into fights over other things. I can understand why you'd want to keep them together, but if they fight again for whatever reason one or both of them could get hurt.

It's hard to guess at what the crack on the one's nose might be. As long as the gecko is acting normal otherwise, I'd just keep an eye on it for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

i discovered that it was indeed dry skin-i soaked her in a lukewarm water bath for about 5minutes and gently scratched around on her nose (much to her displeasure!) with a warm q-tip and it gradually just came off like dead skin
looks like maybe she shedded her skin a few days back and there was just a piece on her nose or something
she's acting fine now and i'm going to continue feeding them seperately to help prevent fights
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

That's great to hear, I'm glad she's fine.

Tags
dry skin, juvenile, leopard gecko