First Lizard, where to buy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

First Lizard, where to buy?

Hey, Im looking to buy a Bearded Dragon (I prefer the look of Gecko's, but they hide away too much etc). So I've settled on a bearded .

I'm from Manchester, near the Airport area.
I've seen at Pets at Home, the bearded dragons are normal coloured.

Is there anywhere else I can get one, a different colour??

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 PM
is a little "special"

Are you looking at getting a baby? They are pretty cute, but just to warn you, they are ridiculously expensive. Be prepared to go through 300+ live feeders a week... They eat like little horses!

Please do NOT get one from a pet store. They are inbred, not well cared for, and a lot of them have health problems.

Personally, I always prefer to adopt. You can find plenty of adult and baby beardies needing homes on Craigslist and Petfinder. If you are set on a breeder, Bloodbank, TND Dragons, and Yellow Room Reptiles all produce beautiful babies (Look up their websites). If I would ever buy a baby, I would definitely get one from them! They have lots of gorgeous morphs too: Leathers, Hypos, Translucents, ect...

Good luck! You will LOVE your new baby! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

I like uromastyxs, because they have a lot of color. The red ones are really bright. they don't eat a lot of insects compared to bearded dragons. they are mainly vegetarians.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Are you looking at getting a baby? They are pretty cute, but just to warn you, they are ridiculously expensive. Be prepared to go through 300+ live feeders a week... They eat like little horses!

Please do NOT get one from a pet store. They are inbred, not well cared for, and a lot of them have health problems.

Personally, I always prefer to adopt. You can find plenty of adult and baby beardies needing homes on Craigslist and Petfinder. If you are set on a breeder, Bloodbank, TND Dragons, and Yellow Room Reptiles all produce beautiful babies (Look up their websites). If I would ever buy a baby, I would definitely get one from them! They have lots of gorgeous morphs too: Leathers, Hypos, Translucents, ect...

Good luck! You will LOVE your new baby! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Yeah, I was looking at getting a baby
How much is 300 live insects to buy per week???

And yeah, I thought a pet store would be a bit dodgy.. I'll just have to look up other places for them, and one with nice colours.

Do females and males act differently?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 11:20 PM
is a little "special"

Depends on where you buy the crickets. Online, you can buy 1,000 crickets for around $30 shipped. At the pet store, 12 dozen is usually around $10. So either way, your looking at spending at least $10-$15 per week (and some will eat more than 300/week too). Trust me, they really clean out your wallet!
Thats why I prefer adults. They only eat 30-50 live feeders a week, and most of their diet consists of veggies. Much cheaper and low maintenance!

If youre looking for color, definitely check out Bloodbanks dragons. They are amazing!

Ive only ever had males, but from what I understand, there isnt really a difference personality-wise. The males will get really hormonal in the spring time (black bearding, head bobbing, ect) and the females will periodically lay infertile eggs, but those are really the only differences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Curmudgeon

Try looking on Kingsnake.com for reptile shows in your area. You can buy directly from a breeder, and get to know the person you are buying from. You can usually get them much cheaper that way.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 12:44 PM
is a little "special"

Yeah, reptile shows are great! There are always a variety of ages, colors, and morphs.
I know the breeders that I mentioned from another forum Im on, and they are all very trust-worthy and produce beautiful, healthy dragons.

Tags
bearded dragon