A friend for Guy??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

A friend for Guy???

I have been thinking for a while about getting my crested gecko Guy a friend. I have been trying to handle Guy a bit more, and the jury is still out on how he will be. But I was thinking, I wonder if getting Guy an older friend that already tolerates being handled would make him feel better? I'm not sure the sex of Guy yet, and I don't have a scale to tell how big he is and even if I could know yet. I'm guessing sexes matter...? I'm just putting this out there. Any ideas? I love hearing from all these lovely crested gecko fans on paw-talk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Hello Earthling

Geckos do not need friends.

If you wish to get another gecko wait in till your current gecko is bigger and you can tell it's sex. You could just house the gecko seperatly though which would be better.

Males will fight, male and female will constantly breed, females could work out

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Reptiles don't think that way, I'm afraid. They don't look at another reptile and think "hey, he seems calm about handling, I bet it's nothing to worry about". That technique does work with some animals, just not reptiles. You have to remember that they aren't social animals (unlike, say, a dog or rabbit).

They also don't need friends--in fact, it's the opposite, living with another reptile can actually stress them out. Think of it from his perspective, he now has competetion for territory, food, etc.

If you really want to house more than one gecko to a tank, make sure you have a female. If you have a male you might be able to house it with a female BUT they'll breed which is something you definitely don't want if you're new to keeping the species. Female-female can work but like I said, geckos really don't need friends nor do they like to live in groups.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, I realize now how awful that would be to getting a bigger gecko. Poor guy! Ah we've been trying to be gentle and work with him, the progress is little to nothing though. I can charm anything with fur and I guess I'm just stuck in that mindset hah
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If he doesn't like to be handled, it's probably just how he is. He might mellow out as he gets older (most geckos are jumpy as babies) but keep in mind that he doesn't need to be handled. In fact, it might be stressing him out if it's something he doesn't like.

Reptiles are different than mammals in that they don't tend to form social bonds or crave attention in the same way we do. It's not that they're heartless or anything but rather that they evolved to be solitary. They're more of a "watching" kind of pet if you catch my drift .

So don't feel like you're doing anything wrong! You seem to be taking excellent care of him .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.